Good 7.1 Headset?

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Hi guys I'm looking for a 7.1 closed-ear headset, mainly for movies, music listening and later gaming when I get a new PC. Ideally around £60-70.

I watch all my movies and TV shows on my PC so I'm looking for a good polyvalent headset that would give me good quality surround sound. I don't have a sound card and am not likely to get one in my new PC unless it offers a good improvement, so it may be best to get a digital headset with it's built-in soundcard.

I've got my sights set on the Gamecom 780, it's got great reviews around the web and is at £38 on Amazon. Has anyone got any experience with this headset and would recommend it, or suggest any others that would be better and within my budget? Cheers

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
If you get a digital headset, then you will need a soundcard mate, i've been through that whole problem myself.

Asus dx soundcard (pci -e) is ya solution, costs 50 quid and does everything that all the other sound cards do. Please don't get a creative card, they are not rated very well at all.

Or if you want to spend less, you could get a analogue headset, cost much less, and a asus DG - you can get a newer pci -e version for an extra fiver or so called the DXG.

Or you could get a razer headset with the whole USB soundcard jobby, there's a new razer one called tiermat or something, but thats gonna be well over hundred quid, as would and dolby digital headset.

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
I thought the whole point of getting a digital/USB headset was that it doesn't go through the sound card?

The sound is delivered as a digital signal to the headset which then converts it to analog. Surely I'd need a soundcard to improve the audio through the analog ports, ie for some speakers or an analog headset? Since the 780 comes with its own drivers, it converts the signal to Dolby surround without the need for a sound card. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not talking about optical S/PDIF connection btw, I know that in that case I'd need a soundcard but atm I'm on a Sony Vaio so not really an option :) Just want a plain USB headset that comes with its own drivers and can simulate Dolby surround. I should've said USB in my 1st post sry but I usually say optical connection when talking about S/PDIF connections, even though it only applies to TOSLINK cables :D

Last edited:

javthrower

Bronze Level Poster
I've had the gamecom 367's, recently upgraded to the 777's. Using them as I type and am very satisfied! Great sound, analogue mic and speaker jacks on the end of the lead, but come with an analogue to USB Dolby 7.1 surround sound card. Amazing value, for a quality product.

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
I've had the gamecom 367's, recently upgraded to the 777's. Using them as I type and am very satisfied! Great sound, analogue mic and speaker jacks on the end of the lead, but come with an analogue to USB Dolby 7.1 surround sound card. Amazing value, for a quality product.

Cool thx I've read that the 780 fixes a few problems of the 777 so if the 777 is already good that bodes well for the 780 :)

lewishollings

Bright Spark
well, razer megalodons are a good choice as they have there own drivers and they don't require an amazing sound card and they're really comfy but they're way out of your price range :L

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
well, razer megalodons are a good choice as they have there own drivers and they don't require an amazing sound card and they're really comfy but they're way out of your price range :L

Well they're USB so they don't require a sound card at all :) I've had a look at them before and they do look nice but while I could technically stretch my budget to get some there are many alternatives that seem to provide as good a sound as they do for less. I guess you pay a bit more for the brand.

Do you have a Megalodon? How would you rate the sound in movies and games?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
ah ya should have said usb only, anyway

have a look at these mate,

Logitech G35's, - clicky I think there's a few different versions but these are USB.
CM Storm Sirus - clicky Watch as there's two versions that look the same,
Corsair vengeance - clicky

lewishollings

Bright Spark
that's what I meant but I worded it wrong sound card wise, and the sound for movies and games is good but the only problem I have is a BIG problem, the headset leaks badly and I mean really bad, when I am playing games and trying to communicate with my team over teamspeak they can hear every single thing that's happening on screen, that includes the quiet bleep that pops up when there's an error :L for me that's a big problem as I talk over skype and teamspeak a lot. Hope this helps :p

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Cool thx for the suggestions both of you (+rep). Lewis that's surprising, if I understand you correctly you're saying that the mic is too sensitive? I've read reviews saying similar things, try tuning down the sensitivity if you haven't already. :)