Google chrome freezing on certain websites

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Have you attempted to reinstall Chrome or clear the cache and stored data? Are there any other extensions that could have an influence?

jonbam

Enthusiast
Hi

Yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. I have also cleared the cache.

The sites are still freezing.

Jonathan

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeah, was just trying to narrow down as to what could be causing it. Only other thing I can think of is to try completely uninstall Chrome using Revo Uninstaller and then manually searching as well to try and remove every trace of Chrome and then reinstall as a regular uninstall leaves a lot of stuff behind.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yeah, was just trying to narrow down as to what could be causing it. Only other thing I can think of is to try completely uninstall Chrome using Revo Uninstaller and then manually searching as well to try and remove every trace of Chrome and then reinstall as a regular uninstall leaves a lot of stuff behind.

This would be a wise move I think, it certainly seems to be a Chrome related problem. After the Revo uninstall make sure the Chrome user config is gone as well. It's in %userprofile%\AppData\Local, just delete the entire Chrome folder in there. A corrupted Chrome profile might well be your problem so it's vital to be sure it's gone before reinstalling.

jonbam

Enthusiast
Ok

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome using Revo uninstall and the sites above are still freezing.

Using Reflect I went to a 4 week old backup, but when you update Chrome the problems with freezing started happening.

These problems started around 4th May 2016.

Jonathan

Everon

Enthusiast
Have you tried adding UBlock Origin to chrome?

Both those sites you flagged work just fine for me with my chrome Version 50.0.2661.102 m (latest)

The daily mail showed 24 blocked with the mirror showing 17.

jonbam

Enthusiast
Me and my mum have the same problems with chrome.

I have switched back to firefox.

I have turned off windows 7 updates.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It's very strange, I do not know what to suggest. Both the websites appear to be working fine for me as well.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is it ONLY those sites or do other content heavy sites also freeze?

You might try turning off the "Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly" option is advanced settings. See whether that helps?

Chrome is heavy on RAM, so what does your RAM usage look like? Use the Windows Resource Monitor and check the Hard Page Fault Rate total you see on the top line, what is that figure when Chrome freezes? I'm trying to see whether your exhausting RAM and a consistent non-zero page fault rate will show that.

jonbam

Enthusiast
Some other sites also freeze.

I see a box for: prediction service loads pages more quickly. Is this the prefetch setting you are talking about?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I can't find a prefetch setting in Chrome.

Some other sites also freeze.

I'm using a Chromium based browser but not Chrome itself. AFAIK the settings are the same. Under Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Prvacy there is a checkbox "Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly". It might be called something slightly different in Chrome.

jonbam

Enthusiast
(I turned off: prediction service loads pages more quickly)

No

That setting didn't correct the problem