Google sketch up.

bg92

Expert
I found about this software at school while doing my a levels, havent had much expierence with CAD but goole sketch up seems to be a good software. And most imporantly its free :D
Anyone else know any CAD software that is free and good?
Btw trying to make a side panel design using this :D might post a screenshot when I'm done.

bg92

Expert
This is with what I came up so far, any suggestions or any ideas?

Attachments

• side panel.png
    side panel.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 149

Mike87

I dont know of any other free software but I use AutoCAD and Sketchup at work a lot. Ive been using sketchup for around 3 years, its a great program. I do quite detailed models of houses with it. You can also get render packages for it to make photorealistic images, although these arent free you can use the trials and can produce some professional stuff, for free!

And your design looks good so far :). I think you should model the full case with it too, shouldnt be too tricky heh.

bg92

Expert
No way that im gona model the whole case are you mad? I would end up drawing everything single part to size after measuring it and etc, that would take me far too much time, but im gona improve this design a little or a least the drawing, didnt get used to this software yet and sort of rushed the drawing, have to agree that it is good program :D

Mike87

haha yea i know :p. You could just do the basic case shape and not worry about the insides. Then take a picture of the inside of yours and paste the photo onto the panel so it looks like you have done the internals :p.

But yea it takes a little while to get used to but its defiantly the easiest to use out of various modelling programs.

bg92

Expert
I think I will be fine with just designing the side panel, need to actually have some spare time for uni work not just for modding my pc and doing other stuff.