Got my 17.3" Vortex III with 7970m

icehot

Ok got it delivered this morning... just finished installing windows and all the other crap etc so thought I'd give it a quick 3dmark11 run to see how it's running, and not bad: P5840 - results can be seen here: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3666696

Ended up getting the i7 3720qm with 16gb 1600 ram, obviously the 7970m, crucial m4 256gb, another 1tb hdd...

It's pretty nice, fairly quiet, doesn't seem to be getting hot running 3d mark at least, later on once it's downloaded i'll try out some crysis 2 at max settings just to see how it runs

Only one problem so far, and that's that GPU-Z hangs on the splash screen, i assume there's some compatibility problem with this laptop or the drivers and version 0.6.2 of gpu-z.. This is unfortunate as I wanted to see what my GPU temps were doing but nm...

I quite like how enduro seems to work that you can set individual applications to either use power saving graphics or high power.. So yeah all good so far - oh and no branding on the lid either which is a nice touch

marhask

That score seems ok compared to all the others 7970m's. You can still try some other software to measure your temps liked HWmonitor or HW info. Try google them, they are free.

icehot

Ok I think i figured it out, my last laptop i had before returning it (from elsewhere) to get this one had optimus and it seems to work differently, with enduro you have to run something to bring the card to life before any application can detect the card and get readings from it - even GPU-Z works for instance after doing that (although it doesn't detect much still need a new version i think), just ran MSI kombuster then ran hwinfo and could see everything that way.