GPU and CPU seem to be limiting in games?

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
I loaded up WoW, started playing and noticed im only getting around 50 FPS on ultra, it then drops alot more when im around other players.
I then loaded GPUZ and CPUZ and noticed that there holding back, my CPU is only running at 1.5 GHZ and the gpu is at about 50% load?
Is this normal? Would of thought a 780m could get a bit higher FPS than that.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Sorry im not familiar with Nvidia GPU's but there is an option in the Nvidia Control Panel to select the 780m instead of the onboard GPU.

That may help i hope, if not a Nvidia user may respond with a better answer

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd give PCs a call now mate, get in there before they close at 5.

Im sure they will know exactly whats wrong.

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
He wasn't to sure on the phone, we updated the driver and still getting pretty poor FPS, seen as WoW isn't the most demanding game.
He wants me to redo windows and only put my drivers/updates on there and install WoW and take it from there.

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
Are there other tests i can do to rule out it been at WoWs end? Alot of people seem to be moaning with FPS issues on the forums over there.

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
Havent installed any yet, downloading cod 4 right now.
I ran the benchmark test and scored the same as other people with the same spec.

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
Just started the first mission on call of duty 4, i know its not a very graphical game but i was getting about 480 FPS, which seems like how it should be.
Gonna install some more games tomorrow and test it out.

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
first mission on Call of Duty MW3 i was getting about 140ish, not sure how high its ment to be on a 780M.
Laptop is being RMA'd tomorrow for the keyboard fault but hopefully looking into the GPU too.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I don't think it's the GPU, if games running locally are fine but WoW (being net hosted) is dropping FPS it would point to something else I think. I had the exact same problem back in '07 with a new rig and the FM Live beta, the matchplay would become so laggy it was virtually like watching slideshows. I never got to the bottom of it but my GPU was fine.

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
GeForce experience suggests I should put all of WoWs settings on ultra but in game WoW suggest I put everything on good, not even high and no where near ultra. Something seems weird to me but as I said its been put in for RMA and was taken earlier :)