GPU cooling issues with Optimus IV

Pagey

Bright Spark
Hi again, been a busy one for me over the years.

Just looking at fixing an issue I have with my laptop, hoping someone else has a little bit of input they could give me.

Basically my GPU isn't being cooled correctly, temperatures rarely go over 60, but I'm having a strange diagonal screen tear problem running from top left to bottom right. I've pasted her twice now, but on the second time I noticed the heatsink wasn't fully parallel with the cooler, so it looks like one portion of the GPU is being cooled correctly and the rest isn't.

So it leads me onto this question: Heatsink pads; are they any good and will it solve my heatsink not sitting correctly on the GPU as obviously paste just isn't cutting it anymore.

TIA.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If the GPU temp rarely goes over 60 then what makes you think it's not being cooled correctly? Your screen tear could be a driver or other software issue perhaps? Have you eliminated likely software issues?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As Ubuysa says, I don't think that's heat related if the temp isn't going over 60, that's an excellent temp range on load.

It's more likely driver issues or a dud card that needs an RMA.

Pagey

Bright Spark
After a little digging, this isn't an isolated case; many others with mobile GPU's are experiencing the same issues.

Apparently it's W10 not working well with mobile GPU's, they are aware, but currently no fix.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
After a little digging, this isn't an isolated case; many others with mobile GPU's are experiencing the same issues.

Apparently it's W10 not working well with mobile GPU's, they are aware, but currently no fix.

Ahh. Is this the old NVIDIA Optimus issue with Windows 10 in a different guise?