GPU Maintenence

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Great thread, just a couple of suggestions:
- Talk about monitoring temps, something like CPUID HWMonitor is really good
- Maybe mention CPU and GPU combinations? Such as getting a balance between cpu and gpu and not going overkill with either. Leading on from this also things like AMDs APUs, which use system RAM, so in such cases it's best to have faster RAM.
- If you're using a lower end GPU, especially in laptops which have 15.6" screens and below and have a GPU such as the 850m, or anything around that kind of spec, I find it best to lower the resolution of some games down to 720p, that way you can turn up the settings considerably.
- Maybe give links to some benchmark websites/youtubers, I'd recommend Linus Tech Tips as a youtuber, but that way it will help people get some real numbers when choosing their GPU

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Great thread, just a couple of suggestions:
- Talk about monitoring temps, something like CPUID HWMonitor is really good
- Maybe mention CPU and GPU combinations? Such as getting a balance between cpu and gpu and not going overkill with either. Leading on from this also things like AMDs APUs, which use system RAM, so in such cases it's best to have faster RAM.
- If you're using a lower end GPU, especially in laptops which have 15.6" screens and below and have a GPU such as the 850m, or anything around that kind of spec, I find it best to lower the resolution of some games down to 720p, that way you can turn up the settings considerably.
- Maybe give links to some benchmark websites/youtubers, I'd recommend Linus Tech Tips as a youtuber, but that way it will help people get some real numbers when choosing their GPU

I don't get how you can play lower resolution, the 2 most important things to me are fps and resolution. Has to run at least 45 fps on native resolution.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I don't get how you can play lower resolution, the 2 most important things to me are fps and resolution. Has to run at least 45 fps on native resolution.

I can on my laptop, on my desktop I wouldn't though (due to the screen size). For some games it makes a huge difference on my laptop, like metro last light, I was able to get a much better frame rate and better textures, so because you can turn up textures it actually makes the game look better (usually, obviously depends on the game though)

As I said though, it's only relevant if using a lower end GPU, like the AMD APUs would probably benefit a lot by running on 720p since they use system memory which runs at a lower speed.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I can on my laptop, on my desktop I wouldn't though (due to the screen size). For some games it makes a huge difference on my laptop, like metro last light, I was able to get a much better frame rate and better textures, so because you can turn up textures it actually makes the game look better (usually, obviously depends on the game though)

As I said though, it's only relevant if using a lower end GPU, like the AMD APUs would probably benefit a lot by running on 720p since they use system memory which runs at a lower speed.

I'd much rather sacrifice the texture quality before resolution. In my view, I don't understand why console developers go for texture quality and better effects over resolution and framerate. Even on my laptop I always play at 1080p, even when I'm rarely actually playing a game on the laptop screen. 99% of the time I have a second monitor hooked up.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I'd much rather sacrifice the texture quality before resolution. In my view, I don't understand why console developers go for texture quality and better effects over resolution and framerate. Even on my laptop I always play at 1080p, even when I'm rarely actually playing a game on the laptop screen. 99% of the time I have a second monitor hooked up.

If you've got it on a second monitor then I wouldn't play on 720p. But when I play on my laptop I use the laptop screen. The overall quality can be better by turning down the resolution and increasing texture quality, AA and other settings. In some cases it works really well, but in others it doesn't make a difference, it just depends on how well optimized the game is.

Cricky

Enthusiast
I recently had problems with the AMD drivers crashing a lot on my Vortex IV. I rolled back to the previous version of the drivers which made things better but I still had issues. The other thing I hadn't thought of but found after searching for solutions was that my Intel graphics drivers also needed to be updated. That hadn't actually occurred to me before. Though maybe it's the first thing everyone else does!

I haven't updated my AMD drivers since as everything is working fine and I don't want to jinx things! :whistling: