GPU Overclock/Undervolt issue?

raypat

Not sure if it's an issue per say, but my new optimus PRO laptop arrived and it's gorgeous. The CPU and GPU are running at 85 degrees on full load which is alright. I'm still waiting for the 10th gen Intel workarounds, but for my GPU i'm trying to do the MSI OC scanner and just let that apply an basic overclock for me

BUT I don't know if it will also slightly undervolt due to some options being greyed out. I can let it do the scan and it applies a core clock of 200mhz, but I have no idea if it's also applying anything to voltage due to that being greyed out. (I have also checked the options and ticked unlock voltage etc but no luck)

All the youtube tutorials start with the top 3 options scaled to the right.

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• MSI 2060.PNG
    MSI 2060.PNG
    239.1 KB · Views: 186

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not sure if it's an issue per say, but my new optimus PRO laptop arrived and it's gorgeous. The CPU and GPU are running at 85 degrees on full load which is alright. I'm still waiting for the 10th gen Intel workarounds, but for my GPU i'm trying to do the MSI OC scanner and just let that apply an basic overclock for me

BUT I don't know if it will also slightly undervolt due to some options being greyed out. I can let it do the scan and it applies a core clock of 200mhz, but I have no idea if it's also applying anything to voltage due to that being greyed out. (I have also checked the options and ticked unlock voltage etc but no luck)

All the youtube tutorials start with the top 3 options scaled to the right.

Any advice appreciated.
You do NOT want to overclock anything on a laptop, it will burn out very quickly, the cooling can't manage it.

Also, the way modern GPU's (and AMD CPU's) are designed, they auto overclock with boosts so effectively that there's very little benefit to overclocking anyway.

But certainly not on a laptop, for like 1% benefit you run the risk of burning it out, just crazy. Plus you'll void the warranty.

If you modded it and retimmed with liquid metal, that's the only way you'll be able to manage any kind of overclock, but even then the gains will be so small it's not worth it.

raypat

Fair point. I'm not actually very much interested in the overclocking but more the undervolting due to the temperature reduction.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Fair point. I'm not actually very much interested in the overclocking but more the undervolting due to the temperature reduction.
You won’t need to undervolt the GPU, they max out fairly low anyway. It’s the CPU that’s the issue but is locked down. If it’s not even getting to the 90’s though there’s no issue.

raypat

So I just discovered the fan boost in the control centre. Cools it down to 70 degrees. Great stuff.
Edit : 64 degree now.