GPU Temps

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I downloaded MSI Afterburner but im not sure what im doing with it. I don't want to overclock, just make the fans go a little faster when they heat up.
When you install MSI afterburner go to settings , then fans and then you can control the fan speed depending on the temperature you choose.
Mine looks like this:
Capture.PNG

Ive added 2 pics as requested. Any thoughts then please let me know.
By looking at your pictures I'd guess the temps are a bit high due to not much space between the PSU and the 2nd GPU, the sound card wouldn't affect the temperatures but hopefully by increasing the fan speed using afterburner the temperatures will decrease. As you mentioned I'd also suggest getting a high performance fan rather than quiet ones.

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
What I said about adaptive vsync not reducing temps isn't quite true. It lowered the temps to 80 degrees so knocked off about 7 degrees.

Ill copy your fan profile, thank you for taking the time to post it.

Do you have any suggestions on fans? I was thinking of getting some blue LED ones to add a bit of colour to the case as well but this isn't a priority.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
What size is it? I am using bitfenix spectre pro led blue, not very noisy and helps with the temp.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Save the profile and on the general tab click on "start with windows". You can verify the fan speed with CPU ID.

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
Just had a quick play and it looks like MSI Afterburner has reduced temps to 79 degrees. The side effect is that the PC sounds like it might take off. Hopefully when I get the new fans I can return the GPU profile to standard.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Just had a quick play and it looks like MSI Afterburner has reduced temps to 79 degrees. The side effect is that the PC sounds like it might take off. Hopefully when I get the new fans I can return the GPU profile to standard.

It is noisy at full speed, especially since you have a SLI set up. I'd suggest keeping a profile to keep the temperatures below 80'C.

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
Will do.

Im quite impressed with MSI Afterburner. Overclocking used to only be done by experts but programs like this mean pretty much anyone can give it a go.

Ill update when I get the new fans. That 80 degree measurement I mentioned above was with adaptive vsync off so with it on it will be quieter. I need to get the temps sorted for when future games push the GPUs to their max.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Im quite impressed with MSI Afterburner. Overclocking used to only be done by experts but programs like this mean pretty much anyone can give it a go.
I haven't attempted that, you will also void your warranty when overclocking your gpu. I found MSI Afterburner way better than the software provided by palit to monitor/alter fan speed.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
nice rig by the way dude.

msi afterburner is pretty decent, I've used it for a long time, my factory oc 680 runs at 1215mhz at 60frames I get a Max temp of 65c. partly cause the card is very good but also because I run the gpu fan hard lol. its not very noisy so why not.
it might be worth making sure you have some good fans in the roof of your case to help exhaust the heat from our cards.

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
nice rig by the way dude.

Thanks very much. Its a real treat to myself and once I get these new fans installed ill be a happy little gamer for the next few years.

From what I gather the 680 is basically a 770 so should last for a long time yet.

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
I got a reply from PCS. They believe the temperatures are to be expected during this hot weather.

They also answered a couple of questions about the hot room testing. The room isn't heated to a certain temperature, its just that its warmed because thats where all the computers are tested. Temperatures are not monitored, instead they use a program which tells them if any graphical or stability errors occured during testing. If they did then that is when action is taken. A temperature that is too high would cause such a problem but it isn't the temperature itself that is checked.

I believe PCS should update their site to more realistically show their testing procedure. They are happy to admint they don't test for the 24 hours followed by 24-48 hours so the description is misleading.

Other than that Im happy with their response.

DaxInside

Silver Level Poster
I fitted the new fans which has brought the temps down from 90 to 80 with vsync off and the default profile for the fans on the GPU. So im quite happy with that as its such hot weather.

The R4 case im using has a 3 fan controller built into it which is working well. If I buy an adapter to divide up one of the wires will the result be that each fan gets less power or will it simply draw more?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
The R4 case im using has a 3 fan controller built into it which is working well. If I buy an adapter to divide up one of the wires will the result be that each fan gets less power or will it simply draw more?

hmm, I tried something similar with my old case's fan controller. You need to check the wattage of the controller on your case. Say for example it powers 20w's that 20w's will get divided up over the connected fans. The problem i had is that I case controller couldn't run my extra fans at 100% speed. I ended up buying a separate controller.

But, you should be able to install fans into the spare fan slots and connect them to the controller without any problem. Try it and see how it goes.