GPU upgrade GTX 1660

matt4

Bronze Level Poster
Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade my GPU. I am aware of the current component shortage due to COVID and Brexit.

My current system is listed below. I am looking to upgrade from the GTX 660, to the GTX 1660 OC 6GB GDDR5 (GV-N1660OC-6GD). Would this be compatible with my power supply and system?

I play games like f12020, Assassins creed Valhalla (eventually) and other games from the Assassins creed series, and that is all really.

I would appreciate some suggestions if there is a better card for my budget of £200

Mods: If this is not in the correct forum please move, I wasn't sure where to post this.

Thank you

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX660 2GB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card
1st Storage Drive
80GB INTEL® 320 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s (up to 270MB/sR | 90MB/sW) - REMOVED
1st Storage Drive
500GB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
4G Module
NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor
24" Widescreen TFT 1920 x1080 5MS, DVI, 23.6" Panel
Monitor Cables
1 x 2 METRE DVI-D CABLE
Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® MK250 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hiya

Yes, absolutely, you've got plenty of headroom on the PSU power wise, and the case will happily take the card, those are the only 2 relevant factors.

I would suggest uninstalling the current nvidia drivers once you've installed the new card with DDU:

Then install the latest version direct from nvidia, that way it's completely clean for the new card.

Other than that though, should be plug and play without issues.

BUT, your CPU is going to be a bottleneck. Really you need to start thinking about a full upgrade.

Last edited:

Gavras

Master Poster
For info the 3050 and standard 3060 are due release in next couple months likely post CES in January.

this will potentially impact the lower end of the card market (maybe not but it could).

The main thing is the 3050 will likely sit in that £200 ish bracket (£200 - £300)

The 1660 will be fine but the 3050 would be brilliant and not be power hungry.

Also be aware Valhalla also likes to use CPU, mine is around 20% with my 1060 6GB at 98% (expected).

it also likes having over 8GB memory, so consider 16GB.

it just makes things flow smoother with less ripping etc.

matt4

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you, I will await the release of the 3050 and 3060

What CPU would you recommend to upgrade to?

Thank you,

matt4

Bronze Level Poster
There is very little option for you given your motherboard...the only CPUs that will fit that motherboard are 2nd Generation Sandy Bridge processors....the only real upgrade would be the i7-2700k.....I just had a look around and a brand new item of that chip is going to be anywhere up to £500 (given the age of the CPU and the fact they stopped making them some years ago)...for a chip like that, it is not at all value for money

Factor in the GPU and you are looking at £700....add another £300 and you could build a brand new system which would be much more powerful
Thanks for that information Nursemorph. I knew the time to replace this system would be round the corner.

matt4

Bronze Level Poster
What would be the best RAM for this build? I'm looking to put in a extra stick.

Thank you,

matt4

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for that. Very useful tool.
I've found RAM that is compatible. It will extend the life of it further till I can order a new build.

I should have been clearer. That SSD is still installed, but I bought a faster 1Tb Crucial SSD as the main drive :)
I wouldn't be able to rely on an HDD too!