GPU upgrade question.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
When I bought my PCS build, about a year ago, I installed a 2070 Super. The plan always being to upgrade that in the 'near' future.
Well I think this is the future point I had in mind.

I've got a Gigabyte M34WQ monitor, 144Hz, 3440 x 1440p superwide, which is great and probably won't be upgraded for a long time.
With that in mind, I'm seriously thinking of an AMD 7800XT.
  • I want a Team Red build this time.
  • I don't think a GPU aimed at 4K is what I need, so a 7900XTX would be ott for me.
  • AMD 7800XT is at about the right price point. Nvidia is still asking a bit to much for me.
  • FSR3 is on its way soon, which should bring AMD almost up to Nvidia DLSS quality I think.
  • It's a 16GB VRAM card, which I hope will mean a GPU to last a good few years.
What do you guys n girls reckon? Am I thinking along the right lines, or is a 4090 the only way to go :ROFLMAO: ???

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When I bought my PCS build, about a year ago, I installed a 2070 Super. The plan always being to upgrade that in the 'near' future.
Well I think this is the future point I had in mind.

I've got a Gigabyte M34WQ monitor, 144Hz, 3440 x 1440p superwide, which is great and probably won't be upgraded for a long time.
With that in mind, I'm seriously thinking of an AMD 7800XT.
  • I want a Team Red build this time.
  • I don't think a GPU aimed at 4K is what I need, so a 7900XTX would be ott for me.
  • AMD 7800XT is at about the right price point. Nvidia is still asking a bit to much for me.
  • FSR3 is on its way soon, which should bring AMD almost up to Nvidia DLSS quality I think.
  • It's a 16GB VRAM card, which I hope will mean a GPU to last a good few years.
What do you guys n girls reckon? Am I thinking along the right lines, or is a 4090 the only way to go :ROFLMAO: ???
What kinds of games are you playing?

From what I've seen of pre-reviews of FSR 3, it's quite promising, and the newer gen AMD GPU's having on board AI accelerators I think is pre-planning for FSR 3.

My suggestion for ultrawide would be a 7900XT as a minimum, I don't think the 7800XT really has the chops for some of the more demanding newer titles.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
What kinds of games are you playing?
Still playing Days Gone, but now playing the hardest setting. I'll probably play it again for a direct comparison between GPUs. Also in my library are; Star Wars Fallen Order and Squadrons, Hitman 3, 2, The Witcher 3, 2 and 1, Assassins Creed (complete suite), Horizon Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider (2013) Rise of T.R., Shadow of T.R. On my Steam wishlist are some newer titles; Red Dead Redemption 2, Dead Space, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, The Last of Us Pt1.
From what I've seen of pre-reviews of FSR 3, it's quite promising, and the newer gen AMD GPU's having on board AI accelerators I think is pre-planning for FSR 3.
That's the impression I got, although most of what they were saying has gone "Whoosh", straight through :rolleyes: 😊
My suggestion for ultrawide would be a 7900XT as a minimum, I don't think the 7800XT really has the chops for some of the more demanding newer titles.
7900XT? Hmm, £300 more than a 7800XT, I'll have to save up for a bit longer then 🤔
7900XTX is a lot more than I can afford.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
It's roughly around £750 for a 7900XT currently, I wouldn't be surprised if that falls more over the next few months.
Well I haven't noticed the prices dropping, so I've just hit the button on fleabay to buy a new,

ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 7900XT OC Edition 20GB.​

£780 with free postage. I should have it by next weekend.

There were pre-owned cards available, at a considerably lower price. I decided not to take that chance.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well I haven't noticed the prices dropping, so I've just hit the button on fleabay to buy a new,

ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 7900XT OC Edition 20GB.​

£780 with free postage. I should have it by next weekend.

There were pre-owned cards available, at a considerably lower price. I decided not to take that chance.
IMHO preowned, especially now with crypto cards, just isn’t worth the risk.

Bravo, hope it arrives quickly

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
IMHO preowned, especially now with crypto cards, just isn’t worth the risk.

Bravo, hope it arrives quickly
It arrived safely, but I wasn't home. That was a disastrous week altogether that one. But anyway, the Royal Mail redelivered it this morning. I've physically installed it, and  then noticed it has 3 x 8pin PCIe power sockets. I take it this means it requires all 3 sockets to be powered, directly from my PSU? As I only have 2 PCIe cables, 1 with a second plug tail which the general info sheet says I shouldn't use, at least not on a 2 socket card. I'm taking that to mean not on a 3 socket card as well.
What a nuisance! I'll refit my 2070 Super until next weekend. Get another 8 pin, or even 3 x 8 pin PCIe, rather than 6+2. And then do it all over again.

Why is it never easy 🤔🤔 😆

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It arrived safely, but I wasn't home. That was a disastrous week altogether that one. But anyway, the Royal Mail redelivered it this morning. I've physically installed it, and  then noticed it has 3 x 8pin PCIe power sockets. I take it this means it requires all 3 sockets to be powered, directly from my PSU? As I only have 2 PCIe cables, 1 with a second plug tail which the general info sheet says I shouldn't use, at least not on a 2 socket card. I'm taking that to mean not on a 3 socket card as well.
What a nuisance! I'll refit my 2070 Super until next weekend. Get another 8 pin, or even 3 x 8 pin PCIe, rather than 6+2. And then do it all over again.

Why is it never easy 🤔🤔 😆
You can use 2 individual cables, 1 using a splitter

You should have spare cables in the welcome box

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
You can use 2 individual cables, 1 using a splitter

You should have spare cables in the welcome box
No spare PCIe cable in the box, I already had a look. Every other type of cable, but not that one 🙁

The Quick Start Guide, which is generic so doesn't say specifically, but does say don't use a splitter on 1 power cable to a 2 socket card. I'm guessing the same applies to a 3 socket card, ie 3 cables from PSU to graphics card. I'm happy to have guessed wrong though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Quick Start Guide, which is generic so doesn't say specifically, but does say don't use a splitter on 1 power cable to a 2 socket card. I'm guessing the same applies to a 3 socket card, ie 3 cables from PSU to graphics card. I'm happy to have guessed wrong though.
No, you can use 1 splitter and a separate for the 3rd. 3 would be ideal though if the PSU supports that.

Be aware if you're buying spare PCIe power cables, you can't buy just any, they have to match your PSU.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
No, you can use 1 splitter and a separate for the 3rd. 3 would be ideal though if the PSU supports that.
OOH! Thanks, I'll do that then. Check my PSU has an output port available, and if it does, get another cable.

Be aware if you're buying spare PCIe power cables, you can't buy just any, they have to match your PSU.
I'm glad you pointed that out, it hadn't crossed my mind. It does make sense though, you don't want a big heavy stiff cable if a lighter one is all that's required.

Tonymummery

Trying to upgrade to a 4070 super or a ti super. But not getting these options. These cards don’t show up at all but you do sell them I see when buying a pre built?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Trying to upgrade to a 4070 super or a ti super. But not getting these options. These cards don’t show up at all but you do sell them I see when buying a pre built?
Can you post your current configuration, as there maybe something there that is restricting your options (e.g.underpowered PSU)...or that they're out of stock already (as I see a 4080 Super and an Asus 4070 Super, but not the other options I saw last week).

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm also not seeing the 4070 Super or 4070 Ti Super on my upgrade options. My guess is they have stock issues, so for now they're only shipping them in completed systems.

Tonymummery

I did think that. Also thought they might of forgotten to update the website or something along those lines as it’s not been too long since they launched.