GPU upgrade

Harag

Gold Level Poster
the 6+2 ones will work fine. The GPU won't come with any.

I use extention cables on my 3070 which needed a 6pin and 8pin to make it look neater but its not needed :)
Thanks for confirming. I know they need to be 2 cables from PSU to GPU, wasn't 100% sure on the 6+2 version, Thanks.

SodaO

Yeah, it is a heavy duty GPU...just didn't realise it's power requirements required the 3 connectors (even though it is listed in the spec list above!!)
For a 'normal' 3090, an 850W PSU is more than enough. However, the Suprim is going to be drawing more than the 362W to get those frequencies and at stock voltage (which is typically too high) on these cards, you are looking at up to 420W. So, if you are running a 9900k then you are looking at a (peak) power draw of close to 600W. Then you've got the rest of your components. The Corsair RM850i is a Gold rated PSU so theoretically you should still be fine. All said, I the first thing I would do is look to undervolt the GPU and aim to shave off some of that power for equal or better performance. Secondly, if you are pulling that much power through the card, you need to be watching your VRAM temps. I'd be surprised that if you are in a situation where you are using close to 400W through this card with Ray Tracing and 4K, the card won't be throttling due to VRAM temps hitting well over 100C. Personally, I would reduce the max power draw down to 350W and undervolt accordingly. There are loads of resources/tutorials out there to help you. There is also a load of info on VRAM temps under heavy load. Get HWINFO and monitor those whilst stressing the card, especially if you are running it at stock settings.

EDIT: Don't confuse the GPU temp with VRAM temps. These GPUs run relatively cool but even below 70C on the GPU, you can be hitting 100C plus on the VRAM.