GPU usage drops! New PSU?

Ubu6

I recently purchased two MSI gtx 780s and have noticed some weird behaviour that i don't understand. When installed GPU 1clocks at 1054 while GPU 2 clocks at 1045. I noticed that when overclocking the cards to 1175 each that when gaming the cards will perform fine with 93-98% usage each but after 30 mins gpu1 will down clock and the usage will never go above the 40-45% while GPU 2 will stay at 95%. Is there something wrong with the card or is it a PSU limitation? My PSU is a tx850

Ubu6

Hi steaky I don't think the graphics cards are overheating. I tried both cards on their own overclocked to 1175 and they reach a Max of 74° on default fans settings, hell they both reach 1200 and perform fine but I jus want a moderate overclock for. I like to set the fans to 70% cus they are still quiet and temps drop to 66°. And in sli the top card reaches 75° with the bottom at 67°. Is this OK? And if your question was directed at my PSU I'm not sure but it does get very loud up to the point where the graphics cards usage drops then it gets quieter.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
it will be the psu isnt big enouigh. Can you post up your whole spec, inc case, number of case fans, the lot.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yeah defo the psu aint big enough, i just spec'd up (on pcs) I7, 8gig ram, ssd, 1 hdd, two 780's and a cpu cooler. Required over 1000 with 20% alllowance included. So with the 850 you are probably really pushing the psu. I'd upgrade pretty soon before it blows or fails - which may damage other components.

Corfate

Author Level
I have to agree with Tom i'm afraid (urgh)

If you're over stressing the PSU, it's only a matter of time before it goes bang lol. Sell it and get a bigger one :)

Ubu6

Thanks for the Replays guys you've been a massive help. No more gaming for me until I get a new PSU :-( what PSUs do you guys recommend based on my specs?
Coolermaster HAF X (4 X 200mm case fans)
i7 3820 overclocked to 4.3 with 1.3v
H100i push/pull
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
MSI GTX 780 Twin Frozr SLI
16GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
Intel 520 series 240GB SSD
2TB WD Caviar Black x2
DVD RE-WRITER
Corsair TX850
VIEWSONIC VP2770 LED

kruppsy

Master
I recommend an XFX (pro core edition) PSU. They are reasonably priced, made by Seasonic who are one of the market leaders and also come with long warranties.

I was after one for my recent built but just ran out of budget. All the reviews I could find on it were glowing.

I think the pro core only goes up to 850w but there are others in their range which go all the way to 1200w

Either that or just cut out the middle man and get a Seasonic, you just tend to pay a bit more that's all.

Last edited:

Ubu6

OK guys I've taken the plunge and gone for EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 1300W, was torn between this and the Seasonic X-Series 1250w '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply. The latter being £50 more with similar performance in reviews ive read swayed me to EVGA, that and the red cabling is a nice touch too.