GPU's

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Moved the thread over to Technical Laptop Discussion. Not really sure why you would put it in the Monitors forum?!

Hultkrantz

Apologies, didn't realise although my monitor has been producing breakup and has developed a considerable amount of flicker which I correlate with GPU issues.
Kind regards.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not a laptop guru, but does the GPU in a laptop need repasting like the CPU does.

Just wonder if graphical artefacts could be caused by dried out paste if that's the case?
Yes, nowadays the heatsink tends to be one that covers both the gpu and cpu, so you repaste them at the same time

It should be repasted once a year to keep temps in normal parameters otherwise will overheat which can lead to artifacting and potential component failure if not addressed

if it has been repasted regularly, then it could be down to driver corruption in which case uninstalling the driver fully with DDU and then reinstalling it may help

Last edited:

Hultkrantz

Yes, nowadays the heatsink tends to be one that covers both the gpu and cpu, so you repaste them at the same time

It should be repasted once a year to keep temps in normal parameters otherwise will overheat which can lead to artifacting and potential component failure if not addressed

if it has been repasted regularly, then it could be down to driver corruption in which case uninstalling the driver fully with DDU and then reinstalling it may help
Brilliant, to my knowledge repasting has never been done but as a precursor I will address potential driver issues first.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Brilliant, to my knowledge repasting has never been done but as a precursor I will address potential driver issues first.
If a repaste hasn't been done to date, it's very likely a hardware issue then unfortunately as it will have been thermal throttling for an extended period of time which invariably heatsoaks the GPU, CPU and motherboard leading to component breakdown.