Graphics card issue

JefLay

I’m new to this, just got my sons gaming machine. Despite asking for build help when I ordered, the £32 graphics card configured turned out not to be fit for purpose on the games I stated my son plays. On PCS advice I bit the bullet and upgraded to Suitable Nvidia replacement, and paid an extra £160.

Problem is the return card. PCS say this was faulty on return. I’m build and tech literate, but never touched a graphics card before. That said I took all precautions (chassis static discharge) and removal to package took all of 2 mins (I used the anti static envelope the new card came in), and handled only the chrome metal faceplate. Box was huge and card well protected.
Anything I could have done wrong? This happen often? I only get £32 refund on this but as I’m £160 over budget every little helps.
Advice sought
Jeff

D

Deleted member 17413

Is it possible there was a fault which is why it wasnt running the games properly to start with?
What games are they, what was the full specification?

How long had you had it, what warranty did you get?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is it possible there was a fault which is why it wasnt running the games properly to start with?
What games are they, what was the full specification?

How long had you had it, what warranty did you get?

I'd agree with this suggestion that the card may have been faulty when you got it.

I've never heard of this happening before and I'm really surprised.

I would contact PCS, ask what the fault with the card is and ask them to prove to you that the fault wasn't there when you got it.

JefLay

Thanks all for your input. The removed card was an Nvidia 710, replaced by a 1650 Super, and he only so far has played Warzone.
It’s academic, though, as PCS have issued a refund. It was a moral boost to hear your comments though, thanks again

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks all for your input. The removed card was an Nvidia 710, replaced by a 1650 Super, and he only so far has played Warzone.
It’s academic, though, as PCS have issued a refund. It was a moral boost to hear your comments though, thanks again
Glad to hear it. I'm sure the original charge was a mix-up - or the new guy. ;)

thomor

Bronze Level Poster
My concern is still with the fact that someone advised that the 710 would be an appropriate GPU for a gaming machine :unsure: I presume it was someone from PCS given the OP stating that "Despite asking for build help when I ordered".

To be honest I'm not sure why they even still offer the 710 as an option, wouldn't the newer processors pretty much have better graphics options just on integrated?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My concern is still with the fact that someone advised that the 710 would be an appropriate GPU for a gaming machine :unsure: I presume it was someone from PCS given the OP stating that "Despite asking for build help when I ordered".
I’m interested in that too, mo one in their right mind would have suggested that card as anywhere near suitable. It is a bit concerning.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
To be honest I'm not sure why they even still offer the 710 as an option, wouldn't the newer processors pretty much have better graphics options just on integrated?
AMD CPU’s don’t have integrated graphics so as a basic video output card, the 710 is very reasonable.

thomor

Bronze Level Poster
AMD CPU’s don’t have integrated graphics so as a basic video output card, the 710 is very reasonable.

Oh right, they have APU's instead right? I heard the new 4000 series APU's are gonna be pretty decent for a budget gaming machine though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh right, they have APU's instead right? I heard the new 4000 series APU's are gonna be pretty decent for a budget gaming machine though.
APUs wouldn’t be used on a gaming machine. The 4000 APUs are just under the same performance as Ryzen 3000 but will cost more because of the iGPU, but on a gaming machine you’d have a dgpu.

So you wouldn’t shell out more money for less performance on something that has an extra bit of tech that you don’t need.

APU’s are designed for office PC’s or basic web surfing PCs. Yes, perhaps very basic gaming like minecraft or something but not anything you would call mainstream gaming.