Graphics card only being recognised on restart - Windows 10

mcfuzz

Hi,

Over the past few months, I have noticed that my GTX 1070 is only being recognised by WIndows 10 when i restart my Laptop. If i turn off my laptop, then on again, even 5 mins later, then the 1070 fails to load / be recognised. I have the most up to date drivers, and also I tried installing an older driver in case that was the issue (March 2019). Each time I install, I do a clean install of the driver. Any clues to what is going wrong? It's coming up to three years old, so I hope that it is not a hardware issue... :(

Specs:

Defiance Series: 17.3"
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 6820HK (2.7GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo)
Overclock the Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK with speeds up to 3.7GHz
16GB HyperX IMPACT 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
1TB WD BLACK 2.5" WD10JPLX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Thanks in advance

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

Over the past few months, I have noticed that my GTX 1070 is only being recognised by WIndows 10 when i restart my Laptop. If i turn off my laptop, then on again, even 5 mins later, then the 1070 fails to load / be recognised. I have the most up to date drivers, and also I tried installing an older driver in case that was the issue (March 2019). Each time I install, I do a clean install of the driver. Any clues to what is going wrong? It's coming up to three years old, so I hope that it is not a hardware issue... :(

Specs:

Defiance Series: 17.3"
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 6820HK (2.7GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo)
Overclock the Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK with speeds up to 3.7GHz
16GB HyperX IMPACT 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
1TB WD BLACK 2.5" WD10JPLX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Thanks in advance
What do you mean “fails to load/be recognised”?

Can you take a screenshot of the issue?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Turn off "Fast Startup"
It's in the power options in the control panel.

A restart bypasses the fast startup procedure and starts everything from fresh.
With fast startup enabled I believe a lot of processes are cached in an almost hybrid style hibernation mode kind of thing. It causes conflicts with various drivers and processes. I had a nightmare with my fingerprint scanner. It's the first thing I would try with any sort of shutdown vs restart issue.

mcfuzz

Hi

Sorry, I should have added that I have already tried turning off Fast startup.

Below screen shot. As you can see, my laptop can currently see the 1070, however sometimes it is not showing at all once my laptop has been powered down for a while, or sometimes it is detected, but has the red cross over it. I will screen shot again when it does it!

It also has a habit of crashing the laptop once I load up World of Warcraft (once the card is detected), but one restart and it works fine.

1567772982369.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi

Sorry, I should have added that I have already tried turning off Fast startup.

Below screen shot. As you can see, my laptop can currently see the 1070, however sometimes it is not showing at all once my laptop has been powered down for a while, or sometimes it is detected, but has the red cross over it. I will screen shot again when it does it!

It also has a habit of crashing the laptop once I load up World of Warcraft (once the card is detected), but one restart and it works fine.

View attachment 13989
I see. That’s what I thought you meant but wanted to clarify.

When you update windows versions do you do an update in place ie over the top of windows, or do you install fresh? I would suggest doing a full reinstall from latest iso

mcfuzz

Yep recently did a full windows reinstall a few weeks ago as well, problem is still there :(

I guess what I don't understand is that once windows does detect the card, it seems to work fine. It's just takes a reboot or two before it "kicks in"

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yep recently did a full windows reinstall a few weeks ago as well, problem is still there :(

I guess what I don't understand is that once windows does detect the card, it seems to work fine. It's just takes a reboot or two before it "kicks in"
It is odd. Not something I’ve come across before. I would contact PCS just to log it with them. I know there are various issues with v1903 of windows and perhaps it’s related.

mcfuzz

I was struggling to find anything via Google / Nvidia forums too! I was hoping it was not the graphicscard failing!

Thanks for your advice, I will contact PCS now :)

mcfuzz

Quick update (In case anyone else has this issue). PCS not aware of this issue, recommending that I install updated BIOS. Waiting for them to send me the new drivers.

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Quick update (In case anyone else has this issue). PCS not aware of this issue, recommending that I install updated BIOS. Waiting for them to send me the new drivers.

Thanks
Ah interesting, I hadn’t considered the BIOS but that’s a good thing to try.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

That sounds like a flaky or failing graphics card to me.....