Graphics card opinions?

Cavman

Bronze Level Poster
Hi folks,

I'm looking into getting myself a new graphics card over the christmas period and torn between two just now. The 3GB AMD R9 280x and the 2GB nVidia 770.

Both are around my price range (£200-250) and i'm torn between the two. Any thoughts?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Close performance between those 2. Get the cheapest one and with the most free games :)

halox

Enthusiast
Reasons for the the GTX770: 1. Nvidia Drivers are better, 2. Texel Rate is 23% better, 3. Pixel rate is 23% better

The only reason for the 280X is Memory bandwidth is 28% better. To put this in perspective. Unless you have more than 1 screen this makes no real difference.

Personally, I would go with the GTX 770.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Personally i would ignore any advice on what advice anyone gives you on what is better between the 2 and check out the different brands as both cards have many different factory clocks that can be better or worse than other cards.
After youve decided on what cards you CAN go for, then check out what games you would like to play as they all perform differently depending on what games you like to play.

IMO saying one of these cards is better than the other is like saying BMW is better than Audi. You can argue till your blue in the face with all sorts of facts and figures but wont get a definitive answer unless you compare a specific card from a specific manufacturer to another specific card from another specific manufacturer.
Bear in mind this is just my opinion. I know alot of people are pretty passionate about one or the other. (Nvidia or AMD that is). To me when you get to this level of cards you are only talking about a variance of a handful of fps difference that you probably wont notice anyway.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Given a free choice I would go for the 770 but that is just what I would do, the performance is very similar indeed. For me it would come down to noise, temps under load and perhaps a little bit of how the card looks. Take a look at the various coolers and how they are performing for noise and temps and maybe that will give you a direction to go in. Otherwise they are going to perform well and you will probably never be able to tell which is under the desk.

Lex1970

Silver Level Poster
I would go with Nvidia myself although I'm saving up for a GTX780 I still may opt for a 770 yet if I get to inpatient with the wait.

D1craig

Enthusiast
ATM it looks like nvidia are the best. The newer amd cards run a lot hotter and require more power than most cards.

I am going to get a gtx770/80 after as depends how money goes. I have a hd7850 atm and I have no problems except it's getting outdated and not running newer games so great.

EDIT - also I was wandering do the gtx 770/80s come with the Titan cooler? I am sure that is the normal one they are made with...

Last edited: