Graphics cards to replace damaged one

Elhan

Bronze Level Poster
My house mate, who also bought a PC through here a couple of years ago, is having graphics issues, in that his screen keeps exhibiting "tearing" and flickering when playing games. It's become so bad it even does this when Windows is loading up. He's thinking of getting a repair guy to have a look at it, but in the event that it is the graphics card that is damaged, which would be a good replacement for it within a £50 - £100 range, with the aim of playing games like FFXIV or TESO or Skyrim on high settings?

T

TheGeeza

Try a clean installation of the graphics card drivers.
You can get them from nvidias or AMDs website.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
What GPU is he running at the moment?

Something like a 7850/7870 can be had for just under £100 if you buy 'lightly' used or in some cased brand new and boxed from ebay.

Elhan

Bronze Level Poster
It's a 7870. However, I can't seem to get the temperature for the card measured. Last time MSI Afterburner worked, it measured it as between 35 and 50c, whilst not playing games. The other components run at 30 - 40c. I'm wondering if it's something as stupid as a wire coming loose, because after a few restarts and a system file repair (this is Windows 7 btw), it defaulted back to "standard VGA adapter" under device manager and the programs for measuring GPU temps.