Great expectations....

Bishybarnybee

Bronze Level Poster
Hi everyone,

We bought our first PCS PC in 2009 and are now expecting a new laptop (currently awaiting dispatch!!). It has all gone so quickly since going into building on its 11th working day yesterday morning )

This is my first time on the forum and I would like to say thank you to everyone on the forums regularly as I have picked up a lot of good advice from reading through the various threads.

Oooh - it has just flipped over to Dispatched as I am typing this - perhaps it will arrive tomorrow!!?

Can't wait....
:)

Bishybarnybee

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the welcome folks - it's great to meet you! :)

Welcome!

What laptop spec did you get?

The final spec (after quite a lot of post-order "tweaking" - sorry PCS) ended up as:

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" AUO Glossy 90% Gamut Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4800MQ (2.70GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card
NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY WRITER, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ULTIMATE-N 6300 (450Mbps)
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8 (64-bit) Professional DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2013 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC *SPECIAL*
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Keyboard & Mouse
NONE
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation
NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Intel Anti-Theft Technology
FREE 90 Day Intel Anti-Theft Trial - Prevent Data Access upon Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 11 to 13 working days

It will also be our first Windows 8 machine so I'm hoping it will be a smooth transition from Win 7!

Bishybarnybee

Bronze Level Poster
Yep, if its just been dispatched it should be with you tomorrow

Thanks Rakk and you were right - received an email and text from DPD to say it will be delivered tomorrow and some tracking information is beginning to appear now (it's currently in Leeds)!

Guessing I won't get the delivery timeslot info until tomorrow (after it has arrived at my local depot and been scheduled on a delivery round).

Boozad said:
Nice spec. Personally I'd have stuck with W7 but that's just personal choice.

Thanks Boozad.

We did have quite a few discussions over the decision of W7 or W8 but decided in the end that we would have to take the plunge sometime and this seemed as good a time as any to try it. (I had the casting vote so guess I'll get the blame if there are any issues). Looks like we'll soon find out!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you can't stand the metro-style interface of Windows 8 get hold of Start 8 from Stardock, it's not free but at $5 (US) it might as well be. It will restore the familiar start button and start menu, and with it you never need to see the metro-style interface at all.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You don't even have to part with your cash. An update to Windows 8 is imminent.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/23/windows-8-1-review-start-problems

That's not entirely accurate. Windows 8.1 restores the Start button, but it only takes you to the metro-style start screen, 8.1 does not restore the start menu. It does however let you boot to the desktop. You still need Start8 if you want the start menu back. Stardock already have a Start8 version that works with Windows 8.1.

kruppsy

Master
That's not entirely accurate. Windows 8.1 restores the Start button, but it only takes you to the metro-style start screen, 8.1 does not restore the start menu. It does however let you boot to the desktop. You still need Start8 if you want the start menu back. Stardock already have a Start8 version that works with Windows 8.1.

Yes. But I dont get what is inaccurate about my post?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes. But I dont get what is inaccurate about my post?

The bit where you said that you don't have to part with your cash. You do if you want Start8 and on Windows 8.1 you still need Start8 to get the start menu back. Or did I misunderstand your post? :)

kruppsy

Master
You don't necessarily have to part with any cash, I gave a website showing the updates/fixes/amendments, you then make your mind up if they are adequate for your needs. If not, by all means, get Start8. I never said it did what Start8 does.

In other words the free update might be enough to make Windows 8 useable for some people without having to pay the $5 for Start8.

What's inaccurate about that?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You don't necessarily have to part with any cash, I gave a website showing the updates/fixes/amendments, you then make your mind up if they are adequate for your needs. If not, by all means, get Start8. I never said it did what Start8 does.

In other words the free update might be enough to make Windows 8 useable for some people without having to pay the $5 for Start8.

What's inaccurate about that?

Ok, fair enough. No offence was intended. :)

Bishybarnybee

Bronze Level Poster
Hi folks,

Thank you all very much for your suggestions to tame the Win 8 interface. I will certainly be looking in to them.

Not long to go now........according to latest info from DPD it's due for delivery today between 17.38 and 18.38 (and my delivery driver's name is Paul they tell me).

Can't wait!!

:clap:

Bishybarnybee

Bronze Level Poster
All I can say is WOW!:yes::yes:

It arrived 3 minutes into it's delivery slot. Very well packaged and protected. Quickly unboxed, protective packaging removed, battery attached and booted up (battery was already at 60% charge).

I like the plain black, smooth, brushed metal finish on the top - perfect for customising with some stick-on decals or similar.

Once set up it takes about 20 seconds from power on to Windows login screen and about 2 seconds from sleep mode to login screen.

Thank you PCS! :)

It has taken me a while to get all our software installed/configured and I am still getting used to Win 8.

Sorely tempted to go and get one of the Win 8 interface tamers previously recommended (many thanks for suggestions) but I am making myself wait at least a week to give it a chance. (My new best friend is the Windows key + X combination!)

So far I have only switched off the disk write cacheing (had a bad experience with this a while back) and created shortcuts for Shutdown and Restart (why did Microsoft have to hide these so far down?).

However, it eats up video rendering (leaves no time for making a cup of coffee now so coffee consumption significantly decreased!). Photoshop/Lightroom run very quickly too. Haven't tried Audition yet.

I was expecting it to be a bit noisy as some posts have mentioned a loud fan noise in the Vortex. However when the neighbours cat wandered in for a bit of attention its purring soon drowned out any noise from the fan!

Verdict so far - great expectations realised in hardware - verdict still out on software (Win 8)...........