Green Screen (ticking sound) on Shutdown

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Hi.

Just last night whilst I was turning off my computer I could hear a sort of ticking sound, sort of like the hard drive ticking/crunching away as they do, or like something might be getting in the way of a fan.
So I went to off my computer and for the first time I got a blank pure green screen which just stayed on as it was turning off.

I checked my temps with HWMonitor and they seemed to be fine.

I assume this is possibly from my GPU?

Anyone know anything about this sort of thing??

P.s. I am using the computer now and it seems fine :/

I did however tip it back before turning it on so I think that possibly something was interfering with the fan.
I will open it up tomorrow and have a look around.

Much thanks,

Reece

Last edited:

Seppie

I've only ever green screened on my laptop when I've had some sort of graphics driver issue,

funny enough it only ever occurs [on the rare occusion that it does] when using flash player.

I can't be any help - thought I'd let you know that I have experienced a green screen and you're not alone! Though mine has been sorted with a reinstall of my graphics divers, I can't say if that was truthfully the source of the issue - or just a coincidence.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Thanks Seppie : )

Something else that has just popped into my mind is that I think the noise had actually started when I was trying out Bitcoin Mining.
I was mining at about 200-300 MHash/sec, I think whilst mining the noise may have almost instantly started. Also i think a minute or so after that it suddenly slowed down mining.
Could this have broke the card?
If so how can I check if it has lost any power and that everything is still working correctly inside it?

Much thanks!

RS2OOO

Gold Level Poster
I think you need to monitor your GPU temps whilst mining.

I've read of temperatures hitting 100C quickly whilst GPU mining and I've also read of various artifacts whilst mining, and after your question I googled it further and did see a couple of people mention Green/Blue/Red screens when their GPU was cooked.

This would seem the most obvious thing to look into first, and also to ensure the fan is spinning ok and not worn out.

I've been looking into bitcoin mining myself, so out of interest, does intensive mining recover the electricity costs?

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Hey thanks for the reply.

If you can be bothered entering all your tech specs, power usage etc you may be able to work out your profit here:
http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

Mining does take a while to get a return though.
But how much profit you can actually make I haven't researched it enough to tell you :p
I'm just testing it out at the moment. : )

RS2OOO

Gold Level Poster
When I read this article it kind of put me off. In fact, in the video half way down the page the guy actually had a power cut whilst they were filming due to the overload on his electricity:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/16/3649784/bitcoin-mining-asics-block-reward-change

If people are spending £30k on CPU's/GPU's etc annually just to remain competitive at mining I do wonder whether its worth it. Its value seems to be driven by speculators in exactly the same way Crude Oil or commodities are traded.....probably better off just learning to trade currencies and commodities though the risk of losing is obviously higher/less opaque.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Well ,yes this is one way to look at it, however I have been watching the value against the pound. Have a look at this.

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxGBP#tgSzm1g10zm2g25zv

Just from the start of this year Bitcoin to Pound has went from 1/£9 - 1/£35
It is off the chart sort of speak.

So I would also take this to account :p

P.s. Yea, mining isn't necessarily cheap.
But if you have a decent enough GPU then you should be able to mine without much of an issue.
If you mine as part of a pool (group of minders) then your far more likely to get a return even if it is far less than going solo.

Last edited:

RS2OOO

Gold Level Poster
Yes, that is a great chart!

The situation in Cyprus only reinforces the value of such currencies too.

I guess the situation is to get them while you can, before obtaining them becomes out of reach.

I trade currencies from home. There was a "soft spot" in the early 2000's where you could access the exchange from your home PC, pay low spreads and trade against the big boys.

Nowadays its a completely different ball game, the big boys have HFTs (High Frequency Trading algos), and these multi-million pound super computers are set up in the same buildings as the actual exchanges so they can communicate with the exchange quicker, they can trade 10s of 1000's of times a second buying at the sell price and selling at the buy price making fractions of a penny profit on each trade. Making money from home is incredibly difficult nowadays. If you trade in size, in the time it takes you to press the buy/sell button at home these HFT's see your order coming in and manipulate the price so you pay a fraction of a penny more on the trade, and then once your order is processed they sell it back down again so your already in a loss by the time the trade hits your screen!

I've explained that in the simplest of terms so a non-trader can understand, but if they can do that to multi-trillion dollar markets, they will find ways to beat you at bitcoin mining in the end. You need to build them up now I guess, then hold onto them until the values rocket further.

Anyway, apologies for going off topic.... As I said earlier, if you are GPU mining I guess temps will be your first port of call as to the risk of hardware failure.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Ha ha yea I heard a bit about that from a programming friend.
Yea, I think I will most likely just buy coins, I was just testing out mining :)