Gremlins that have got worse

valbat

I have a Cosmos Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS 60Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) that is now 5 years and a joy to use. Suddenly, starting with my husband's laptop we lost wifi, no valid IP configeration . Over two days I looked for solutions and got his working and then my own. That lasted two days and my wifi disappeared again but I couldn't get it back and then made the mistake of connecting to the router, which then knocked out all the wifi I had showing as available (I have two nodes extenders for the tv.) So I am reduced to using my MS Surface or the desktop connected to the router. Now the message I get is that
there might be a problem with the wifi adaptor

If I do complete reinstall will that solve the problem. It would be complete pain to do it but worth it. I've probably tried solutions well above my paygrade so some of the trouble now might be down to me.

Coupled to that BT email is not downloading although they are changing things and I use Opera, not on their list.

valbat

Not sure what you mean by 'service', the one I had before from PCS was around 8 years old, still working fine but the lid hinge cracked. They are well looked after, not knocked around and still looks like the day it arrived. It's not used for 'work' either

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not sure what you mean by 'service', the one I had before from PCS was around 8 years old, still working fine but the lid hinge cracked. They are well looked after, not knocked around and still looks like the day it arrived. It's not used for 'work' either
Could you post your full specs from the order page?

I'm not entirely following, has your whole wifi network gone down, or you've just lost wifi on the Cosmos?

Shouldn't need a reinstall unless there's an infection of some sort, can you post a screenshot or photo of your optional updates page?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
By service I mean take the back off and give it a good dust out and repaste, but reading things again I'm inclined to agree with @ubuysa , the problem lies elsewhere with your network

valbat

The router is fine now, a laptop and a MS Surface Go have wifi and have no problems at all. It was the Cosmos that only worked for two days and then lost wifi and did not respond to the earlier instructions I had, although I made sure the working ones were not on when I switched the router off and. Up to me thinking that connecting the Cosmos to the router might help, I could see the available wifi, now there is nothing other than it wanting a wired connection. Both the wifi and bluetooth are working and enabled on the Cosmos with bluetooth used for the mouse.

Cosmos Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS 60Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 8300H (2.3GHz, 4.0GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)8GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Storage Drive500GB Samsung 860 2.5" EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor1 x 90W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
BatteryCosmos VII Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard LanguageSINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
down_right_arrow.gif
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
DeliverySTANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build TimeStandard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Airplane mode, definitely not, hardware switch, where would I find that?
It would be on the keyboard most likely on the top row alongside a FN key combo. If you can't see if obviously it's likely not there.

Or it will be a physical toggle switch somewhere on the chassis, usually the sides or front.

The last check would be to open device manager and do you see it listed in there? Is there an exclamation mark next to it?

valbat

Not in device manager and can't see on the keyboard. I turned Airport mode on, then remembered that I've always used a mouse and the pad had never worked and couldn't switch it off without pulling the plug. Battery dead and PCS no longer have them as spares.

Very tempting not to buy another and kick this one down the stairs:(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not in device manager and can't see on the keyboard. I turned Airport mode on, then remembered that I've always used a mouse and the pad had never worked and couldn't switch it off without pulling the plug. Battery dead and PCS no longer have them as spares.

Very tempting not to buy another and kick this one down the stairs:(
I'd be extremely suprised if this was anything related to hardware, the fact it happened on both of them at the same time as you had network issues suggests it's something software related.

Can you post a screenshot of the network adapters section expanded in device manager?

Also, are you still using Bullguard?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ignore the above, try this:

valbat

I've never used Bulldog but Panda. However come the renewal date it would not load so had to rely the MS AV along with Malwarebyes, with the idea that if I ever needed to reinstall I would put it back then. I'll come back with the screenshot tomorrow.

valbat

Attached screenshot of device manager. I noticed something else last night as well. When I first had problems and prior to getting it all working again, I am positive device manager had another Network entry in front of the wifi one. There isn't one on the Surface which is probably why I forgot. I was certainly disabling one entry, enabling and then the same on the wifi before shutting down and switching the router off and on.

valbat

Second screenshot hidden devices, I did look before but it didn't turn anything new up other than the 'debug' Network kernel.

Attachments

• Device manager Hidden.JPG
    Device manager Hidden.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 29