Gremlins that have got worse

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Second screenshot hidden devices, I did look before but it didn't turn anything new up other than the 'debug' Network kernel.
So right click the WiFi adapter and uninstall it completely. The shutdown and connect to the router via lan and turn it on, should automatically reinstall the driver, if not check optional updates and apply it from there

valbat

Other than the list of wifi suddenly appearing this morning, I've just tried your suggestion but nothing at all, all it did was indicate that it was plugged into the router but on the check for problems said there was no valid IP configeration on both. I think tonight I'll uninstall again and then turn the router off and on later tonight when it's not being used.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Other than the list of wifi suddenly appearing this morning, I've just tried your suggestion but nothing at all, all it did was indicate that it was plugged into the router but on the check for problems said there was no valid IP configeration on both. I think tonight I'll uninstall again and then turn the router off and on later tonight when it's not being used.
Sounds like the DHCP server isn't sending out IP addresses, or that the Cosmos have a dedicated IP configured that is currently taken so it's unable to renew its lease.

valbat

I'm seriously thinking of disabling and getting an adaptor. I think the last one was around 8 years before it died, this one is too good to dump yet.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
what happens if you connect a mobile phone to the routers wi-fi, the other test you could is set up a mobile hotspot on your phone and try to connect the cosmos to the internet via that

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In your initial post you wrote this....
Suddenly, starting with my husband's laptop we lost wifi, no valid IP configeration . Over two days I looked for solutions and got his working and then my own. That lasted two days and my wifi disappeared again but I couldn't get it back...
If you have had an issue with both your laptop and your husband's laptop then the problem is most likely with the wireless router. That his still works and yours doesn't is not proof that the problem is on your laptop. The common denominator is still the wireless router.

Try powering the wireless router off (unplug the power cord), leave it for a couple of minutes and then power it back one. See whether that helps.
Coupled to that BT email is not downloading although they are changing things and I use Opera, not on their list.
If you're also having problems with your ISP (BT) then that's just more evidence that the wireless router is most likely your problem.

valbat

This morning only thing working is the Surface so had to let himself use it for his daily newspapers. I looked at the router last night and there seemed an awful lot of things on and doubling up (BT Smart Hub). Looking at just one laptop - This device either does not support or is not configured for IPv4 addressing. I imagine the others will be the same. I have no idea how to go from here and I don't particularly want to use a wired desktop for my cruising, although at least everything works. I have no idea either what set it all off.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This morning only thing working is the Surface so had to let himself use it for his daily newspapers. I looked at the router last night and there seemed an awful lot of things on and doubling up (BT Smart Hub). Looking at just one laptop - This device either does not support or is not configured for IPv4 addressing. I imagine the others will be the same. I have no idea how to go from here and I don't particularly want to use a wired desktop for my cruising, although at least everything works. I have no idea either what set it all off.
It's a router issue, contact BT

valbat

I finally got on the chat line with BT this afternoon when I had more time,and just as well. It took from around 3pm until nearly 5 before they had actually finished and swapping chat line staff around 4 times. Most of it spent on asking questions about my account, which unfortunately I didn't have because little information is on the tablet, mostly used for Kindle books. Then when they'd rebooted the router, checked it and it started again umpteen other checks were done in the system, (kept asking for permission), she asked if the blue light was still on, at which point I mentioned that yes it was but there was a red light and deep orange light in between reaching the blue light. Next thing I was told that router was old (probably around 4 years old) and they would sent another by the end of next week. The Netgear extender doesn't work now so I'm leaving that while the new router comes and hopefully I'll have found the instructions by then. It's only used for the tv so it's no big deal for me.

Bit embarrasing though when you I had to ask to leave to go to the toilet and got the comment, "take your time". :)

So thank you for all the assistance offered in determing what was going wrong. It seems odd really because I got my first internet connection around 1996 (dial up) and this is the first time I've ever been stuffed and had trouble with no wifi.