GT 120mm Fans question...

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all...

I've got some of these Gentle Typhoons (pictured below), and I wanted to know if I have to power them off the 4 pin molex connectors (male or famale) or can I re-wire them to the 3 pin fan connector and power them straight off the mobo?

If I can rewire them, does anyone know where I can find a definitive guide and if they must use the 4 pin molex, does anyone know any decent PSU to 4 pin molex cables of a decent length that they could recommend?

Many thanks in advance!

GT120mm.jpg

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
For everyone's info... 5000rpm fans sound like a jet taking off... Lol...

3000rpm is managable :)

Teaz

Godlike
it should be the 4pin molex. the small 3pin should work i believe. have you tried both 1 a time to see if they both spin correctly?

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
The way it is set up is it draws power from the 4 pin moles and the 3 pin connects to the motherboard so that rpm can be recorded...

I'm not using them just yet and they sound like a jet is taking off... Need to find a way to reduce power or control fan speed. :)

Teaz

Godlike
You can use programs like SpeedFan or the Asus SuiteII on your motherboard disc to control the fans?

Another way is to use a fan controller if you have one? or low fan speed adaptors like the one you get with noctua fans which are these.

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
The issue with the Gentle Typhoon's is that they only draw power through the 4 pin molex... If they could be rewired to only rely on a 3 pin adapter, the could draw power from the mobo and thus, be controlled.

I was awaiting for some Scythe Ultra Kaze fans to come through the post... The power straight off the motherboard with a 3 pin adapter and can be controlled by Asus Suite on the mobo.

The Gentle Typhoon's will need to be rewired me thinks. But for everyone else's info; Ultra Kaze's when used in conjunction with the Asus Suite are pretty good... My system is a lot cooler, especially the HD 6990.