GTA IV is a PITA!

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
I bought the GTA multipack in the Steam sale, and attempted to play GTA IV early on this evening, 2 hours later and I'm playing. At first I couldn't get Windows Live to work, then the Social Club, and after all that, it wouldn't let me change the graphics settings, as I have TOO MUCH VRAM?!?!
It's working now after trawling through guides and forums, figuring out how to fix it.
Now I want to mod it, I've never modded a game before, is it easy? I see pictures on steam of actual cars in game and things, and it looks awesome!

T

TheGeeza

I bought the GTA multipack in the Steam sale, and attempted to play GTA IV early on this evening, 2 hours later and I'm playing. At first I couldn't get Windows Live to work, then the Social Club, and after all that, it wouldn't let me change the graphics settings, as I have TOO MUCH VRAM?!?!
It's working now after trawling through guides and forums, figuring out how to fix it.
Now I want to mod it, I've never modded a game before, is it easy? I see pictures on steam of actual cars in game and things, and it looks awesome!

I have not had too many problems with GTAIV really.
As for the modding, it is pretty easy. Just make sure you back up the whole game and don't install anything dodgy :)
I've got the ENB and ICEnhancer mods for it and it looks amazing. Better than watchdogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
Just reading through PC Gamer's best GTA IV mods list. Downloaded ICEnhancer. There are so many mods for this game! Which ones to use...

Last edited:

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
I have not had too many problems with GTAIV really.
As for the modding, it is pretty easy. Just make sure you back up the whole game and don't install anything dodgy :)
I've got the ENB and ICEnhancer mods for it and it looks amazing. Better than watchdogs.

When I say back up I mean copy the entire game into another folder somewhere safe just incase the game files get corrupted :)
This is the ICEnhancer mod I have got.
http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/icenhancer-20n---enb-graphic-mod-f12578

This is a tutorial that also has links to the mod.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123353152

Thanks, I edited my post before I read this, as I figured after reading things, you just meant a copy of the game saved elsewhere. I've installed ENB, but the lighting seems a but much, driving under street lights, it's a bit bright, so I'm going to try mild ENB. Can't believe how much better the graphics are over the 360 though. I played this release day on my 360, and it looks so much better on PC.

Unfortunately that ICEnhancer mod, I can't seem to download...

Edit: sorted.

Do you run ICEnhancer on 1.0.7.0 or an earlier version?

Last edited:
T

TheGeeza

I run the latest version with a few other texture mods. I'll try to put together a list of them for you :)

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
I run the latest version with a few other texture mods. I'll try to put together a list of them for you :)

That'd be great! When I played with mods installed, the traffic was just taxis and one other type of car everywhere! I've followed every guide, and mod to try and fix this, but none work!
I've now uninstalled the game, removing every file, re-downloaded it, and it's back to normal. But I want mods installed again now, but without the adverse affect of having only taxis on the road! Did I do something wrong?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Best thing to do is install one mod at a time, this way you know which mod is the problem if something like that happens and can be removed. I had a lot of problems when I installed about 10 mods at once and had to reinstall completely. Despite having a lot of potential for mods and a lot of them, it does seem the game doesn't handle them as well as some others. Probably because they aren't supported by Rockstar.

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
Best thing to do is install one mod at a time, this way you know which mod is the problem if something like that happens and can be removed. I had a lot of problems when I installed about 10 mods at once and had to reinstall completely. Despite having a lot of potential for mods and a lot of them, it does seem the game doesn't handle them as well as some others. Probably because they aren't supported by Rockstar.

Well, after uninstalling, and re-installing and doing my mods again. The traffic mod seems to have worked :)
Going to try some texture mods and things, PC GTA is way better than 360!