gtx 675m, vs gtx 660m. Is it worth springing up to quadro2000m?

lukeS

I am a video editor leaping from mac back to PC after being disappointed with the way they took final cut, and the way they are going with their OS in general. Seems very consumer iPhone style. Don't get me wrong I love their phones, but I want to have control of my editing as well as have a updated OS.

I am trying to purchase a mobile workstation which will have either a 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M or a 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M.
I will be running, Media composer and all of adobe CS6.
I have been told to go with a quadro2000m, for a mobile workstation, however they are quite expensive.
CS6 claims to be further accelerated with CUDA and both gtx 660m and 675m have cuda cores. 675 having a higher amount.
Would it be worth waiting and saving for a quadro200m? or could the cuda in the 675m do the trick?
Also I have heard that since the GTX is a gaming GPU it doesn't handle nearly as well as a Quadro. Is this just something they tell you to spring out more money? Or could a high end GTX handle as well or better as a low end Quadro?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Skinner

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Luke,

I always find myself in a similar situation as I do motion graphics and 3D work. I've heard on quite a few forums that they have crippled the performance of the new 600 series consumer cards with certain software, mainly with handling 3D work in the viewport when working on models. Quadro cards are supposed to be much better at handling dense scenes in 3D but for me they don't justify the extra cost. If you take advantage of cuda cores you will get much more for your money with a gaming card. I think in some cases it's a matter of software catching up as well. I use gpu rendering in Blender and have just bought another graphics card but I had to go with a GTX580 (512 cores) rather than one of the 600 (I think a 660 has 1300 odd cores) series which has much more becasue Blender doesn't yet work with these cards.

Hope some of this helps and doesn't confuse more...

geedoboi

I don't know if this will help you that much but I recently purchased a 15.6" Optimus IV with a GTX660M and in Sony Vegas 12 I can edit/playback full HD footage in real-time with no problems. It's brilliant :)