GTX 780 Superclocked vs 780 Ti?

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
So I'm looking to buy a new desktop at some point now my exams are over. I've seen the performance of both the GTX 780 and the 780 Ti and both are rated very highly, from the benchmarks I've seen they seem to only differ by around 4-5 frames, apart from on certain games. My question is, is it worth paying the extra amount for the 780 Ti? Would I see a significant boost in performance?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I would say it depends on the monitor you have, the expected fps you want and the games you play. If you have a 1920x1080 resolution monitor I would just choose a standard GTX 780.

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
I currently use a 1920x1080 monitor, however I was considering buying a 2560x1440 at some point. On my current rig I play games like Watch Dogs, AC4 and Hitman Absolution. Obviously I want to play new releases like Arkham Knight maxed if possible. FPS wise as long as it stays above or at 60, that's fine by me.

A314159

Super Star
Put vsync on, then you will preserve your gpu and still get 60fps. I don't see why a 780 would struggle with a 1440p monitor, it has the same VRAM as the 780ti.....

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Put vsync on, then you will preserve your gpu and still get 60fps. I don't see why a 780 would struggle with a 1440p monitor, it has the same VRAM as the 780ti.....

I never said it will struggle but if you choose the gtx 780 ti you may as well get a higher resolution monitor to fully utilise it.

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably go with a 780 Ti and buy a 1440 monitor. Any opinions on decent monitors?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Nice choice with the 780 ti. i think its best to go for the strongest single card that you can comfortably afford.

Now, Which brand are you going to go for? Be worth doing some research to what each company offers. I'd check performance, temperature and the design of the card, for example reference vs non reference and noise. Some non reference cards cool extremely well, but can be a little noisy. Reference cards will generally have a single fan style, which will exhaust the heat out of the back of the card, on other hand non reference cards tend to have 2 or 3 80mm fans, which cool well but all that heat is simply exhausted into the case, in turn this may increase temps for your other components and you will have make sure your exhaust fans are fairly decent to remove all that warmed up air. My personal preference is the standard reference designs, you can get some brands which are factory overclocked for a that performance boost, but still cool well and are reasonably quiet.

I'd say you also need to think about warranty. Palit offer 2 years warranty whereas EVGA offers 3 years upon registering the card. You should also note that many brands will void your warranty if you remove the stock cooler on the card, - say if you wanted to watercool the card, or if you were having specific temperature issues with the card and wanted to repaste it.

I know very little about monitors though, I'll have to leave that for the other guys.

Hope this helps :)

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
Cheers man, appreciate the advice, I was considering the EVGA cards as like you said, the warranty is longer as well as the fact certain models have pretty decent cooling - the cooling they use is similar to my R9 atm which only goes to around 50/55 under full load.

As for the monitors, I just need brands that are reliable/high quality.

T

TheGeeza

Cheers man, appreciate the advice, I was considering the EVGA cards as like you said, the warranty is longer as well as the fact certain models have pretty decent cooling
The ACX coolers are amazing :)

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
They do look pretty awesome, although considering I'll probably spend well over a grand on my new desktop, it might be a stretch to go for one of those as well. Out of interest, would a 780 Ti have any trouble maxing upcoming games, like Far Cry 4 at 4k resolution?

EDIT: Looking at benchmarks from various websites, it seems both the 290x and 780 Ti struggle to get 20-30 frames on current games (Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 4) at 4k. I think I'd prefer to go for a lower resolution so I can max upcoming releases whilst having decent fps.

Last edited:
T

TheGeeza

Mine seems to cope at 4k (above 30fps) in most games but obviously I can't say that about the upcoming games. I doubt we will see a huge leap in graphics with them though.
Also 30fps is NOT what I would consider playable to be honest.

Edit: I would also suggest that you go with something lower than 4K. Maybe 2560x1440? My 780ti handles that res fine in most games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
What sort of games do you play?

If the E3 trailer for Batman: Arkham Knight holds true, it looks like quite a big jump, graphics wise, from Arkham origins. Then again it's been proven time and time again, E3 'game play' trailers look much better than the final product.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
If you're going for a 780ti, would 4k monitor interest you?

Samsung and dell have just released some affordable ones and they're supposed to be excellent...

Samsung: Samsung U28D590 28" 4K 60Hz 1ms
Dell: http://www.trustedreviews.com/dell-up2414q_Monitor_review

I know next to nothing about monitors but couldn't believe that a 28" 4K monitor existed for as little as £499... surely there is some catch but if there was then I wouldn't have though PCS would sell it. So is this PCS 4K monitor any good? AOC U2868PQU 28" 4K LED Monitor

T

TheGeeza

What sort of games do you play?

If the E3 trailer for Batman: Arkham Knight holds true, it looks like quite a big jump, graphics wise, from Arkham origins. Then again it's been proven time and time again, E3 'game play' trailers look much better than the final product.

I play all sorts mate.
I'm not really expecting anything special for at least another year but we will see anyway. I could be very wrong :)
Even if there was a jump I would still expect a 780ti to handle the games very well.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know next to nothing about monitors but couldn't believe that a 28" 4K monitor existed for as little as £499... surely there is some catch but if there was then I wouldn't have though PCS would sell it. So is this PCS 4K monitor any good? AOC U2868PQU 28" 4K LED Monitor

Apologies, didn't realise pcs were offering one... That one has fantastic reviews also.
http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/zardon/aoc-u2868pqu-4k-uhd-28-inch-monitor-review/
http://m.hexus.net/tech/previews/displays/70233-first-look-aoc-u2868pqu-4k-monitor/

Last edited:

TremF

Bronze Level Poster
I have gone from a GTX 780 to an MSI GTX 780 Ti but can't really comment on the difference between the two as I have also gone from an i5 3570k with 16GB DDR 1600 to an i7 4930k with 32GB DDR 2133. All I know is that overall I am upping the quality of games and still getting a performance increase.

From what I hear the 27" AOC 2560x1440 monitor is pretty good if you need a cheap one. I have the 27" ViewSonic VP2770-LED 2560x1440 monitor and I love it. I play games like Battlefield (4 and Hardline at the moment), Batman Arkham Origins, Arma 2 & 3, Crysis 3, Watch Dogs and more. With the 780 Ti I am able to max the games out at the 1440P resolution but you have to consider the rest of the setup too.