GTX 880M Getting Nowhere Near Expected Performance?

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
Hey everyone, so this is an issue I've been battling with ever since I got my laptop just over a year ago and I think now, more than ever, I have more evidence on it being an abnormal issue.

So as the title says, I feel that my GTX 880M is getting nowhere near the performance it should be. A prime example of this would be the most recently released Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, which on a benchmarking site (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-games-on-laptop-graphic-cards.13849.0.html) which has been proven to be accurate in the past has exceedingly different benchmarks than my own experience. On the site, it says that on the very lowest graphical, post-processing and resolutions possible, the game should run at an average of about 94 FPS, for me however, I only get around 18-35 FPS, a framerate which is consistent throughout almost everywhere in the game, aside from the Visima castle where I get an average of 25-40 FPS. I've also heard from multiple other people that my graphics card should be able to run this game above 60 FPS on Medium settings at 720p, which is seemingly impossible for me...

Another game I've noticed this especially in is Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. According to the benchmarking site I previously mentioned, I should be getting an average of 177 FPS on the lowest settings possible, for myself however, I'm only getting about 50 which occasionally fluxtuates up to 60 for a few seconds before dipping back down again.

I've got a laptop cooling pad which has had an effect on my exterior temperature and has helped with the FPS slightly although not much although I have yet to clean out my laptop in a while (although i wouldn't imagine that would make such a massive FPS difference), but heat shouldn't be the cause. I also have Witcher 3 installed on a hard drive with over 100GBs of spare space and my RAM should be high enough for this game. Anyone got any ideas what's going on? Thanks in advance.

micgup

Bronze Level Poster
You could try running 3DMark Firestrike and see how you compare to others. I know its only a benchmark and might not give a real indication of gaming ability. But could indicate if your scoring lower than others with the same setup.

Having a quick look at their results page and it seems that most folk with your cpu & gpu get around 5550 points at standard clocks.

Mick

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
On Witcher 3 with my 680m with everything at lowest I can run at 60fps non-stop wherever I go. If I max settings I grind down to about 18fps.

I play with everything on low but resolution still on 1080p and get low 40s fps which I can live with.

Jamie0202

Enthusiast
Drivers up to date?

Also are you certain you're not using the integrated card as those numbers seem to be consistant with using the Intel iGPU?

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
You could try running 3DMark Firestrike and see how you compare to others. I know its only a benchmark and might not give a real indication of gaming ability. But could indicate if your scoring lower than others with the same setup.

Having a quick look at their results page and it seems that most folk with your cpu & gpu get around 5550 points at standard clocks.

Mick

I'll check my score, I'll edit this post when I know.

On Witcher 3 with my 680m with everything at lowest I can run at 60fps non-stop wherever I go. If I max settings I grind down to about 18fps.

I play with everything on low but resolution still on 1080p and get low 40s fps which I can live with.

If that's the case then it's got to be something seriously wrong on my end. A mobile graphics card that's two generations older should not be getting better performance, especially on a game like Witcher 3.

Drivers up to date?

Also are you certain you're not using the integrated card as those numbers seem to be consistant with using the Intel iGPU?

Yep, using the latest drivers available on Geforce Experience and I've set it globally to the 'High-performance Nvidia Processor' in the control panel, so unless Optimus is screwing it up somehow, that shouldn't be the case.

Last edited:

micgup

Bronze Level Poster
You can download the demo either from 3D Mark, or it's available from steam. Which is where I run it from.
Mick

Just seen your ninja edit :)

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
You can download the demo either from 3D Mark, or it's available from steam. Which is where I run it from.
Mick

Just seen your ninja edit :)

Alright, so there's got to be something wrong. My final score was 2683 with my GTX 880M and my CPU. My graphics score was 2583, my physics score was 7085 and my combined score was 1636. That was with everything I possibly could closed...

EDIT: Just checked if my nvidia GPU was actually being used and it is. CPU load went straight to 99% when using Firestrike so I can't be that.

Last edited:

Fantana

Bronze Level Poster
Alright, so there's got to be something wrong. My final score was 2683 with my GTX 880M and my CPU. My graphics score was 2583, my physics score was 7085 and my combined score was 1636. That was with everything I possibly could closed...

EDIT: Just checked if my nvidia GPU was actually being used and it is. Went straight to 99% when using Firestrike so I can't be that.

Do you have the latest Witcher 3 patches installed up to version 1.04?

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
Do you have the latest Witcher 3 patches installed up to version 1.04?

Yep, says V. 1.04 on the main menu. Baring in mind though after getting that score and the fact that this is an issue I've had across every game I've owned (except Tomb Raider 2013, strangely enough), this is probably an issue with my laptop/GPU itself, rather than the Witcher.

micgup

Bronze Level Poster
Have you tried running any programs to monitor your laptop while your gaming? Msi Afterburner can show all sorts of info onscreen while gaming, cpu loads, temps, same with gpu.
And Intel's XTU program is great to test for throttling.

Worth while running them to see what's going on.

Mick

Fantana

Bronze Level Poster
Yep, says V. 1.04 on the main menu. Baring in mind though after getting that score and the fact that this is an issue I've had across every game I've owned (except Tomb Raider 2013, strangely enough), this is probably an issue with my laptop/GPU itself, rather than the Witcher.

Are you playing in fullscreen mode?
Check Options>Video>Graphics> Windowed or full screen?

Friend of mine playing the game on a laptop noticed considerable fps increase turning it to fullscreen. Some people have it to windowed by default.

Also check your Nvidia Control panel > Manage 3D settings > Global Settings tab >Maximum pre-rendered frames - Make sure this is set to 1.

Last edited:

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
Have you tried running any programs to monitor your laptop while your gaming? Msi Afterburner can show all sorts of info onscreen while gaming, cpu loads, temps, same with gpu.
And Intel's XTU program is great to test for throttling.

Worth while running them to see what's going on.

Mick

Other than the VID and FB having zero response when I launched Firestrike and quite high temps on my CPU (around 90 C) and around 70-80 C on my GPU, everything else looks normal.

Are you playing in fullscreen mode?
Check Options>Video>Graphics> Windowed or full screen?

Friend of mine playing the game on a laptop noticed considerable fps increase turning it to fullscreen. Some people have it to windowed by default.

Also check your Nvidia Control panel > Manage 3D settings > Global Settings tab >Maximum pre-rendered frames - Make sure this is set to 1.

Yep, definitely in fullscreen and Max pre-rendered frames is globally 1.

Last edited:

micgup

Bronze Level Poster
I take it you are gaming while plugged into the mains? Sounds obvious but under battery power laptops don't run at full speed. Also make sure all power settings are set to max performance, and in Nvidia controls, make sure gpu performance is set to max all the time, as adaptive can give lower performance.
Do run Intel's XTU, the included benchmark, this will check for throttling as shown by the program graph.

Mick

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
I take it you are gaming while plugged into the mains? Sounds obvious but under battery power laptops don't run at full speed. Also make sure all power settings are set to max performance, and in Nvidia controls, make sure gpu performance is set to max all the time, as adaptive can give lower performance.
Do run Intel's XTU, the included benchmark, this will check for throttling as shown by the program graph.

Mick

Ah, just saw that there was a bit of throttling during the Firestrike, highest it got to was only 47% though. I'm assuming heat is the cause then?

micgup

Bronze Level Poster
47% seems petty high to me! You really want zero.
It's most likely heat related, unless this is a common issue that might of been resolved with a bios update.
Probably best to contact PCS, and see where you stand.

Mick

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
Check your temps, to make sure it's not overheating. As micgup said, you can use MSI Afterburner to check temps and stuff like that. Alternatively you can also use speedfan for this. If your temp is fine, I would say these are driver issues. P.S: 90c shouldn't be an issue actually, but I believe the 880m will start throttling when it reaches 95c, while the shutdown temp should be 105c. When is the last time you cleaned the fans/heatsinks and repasted the GPU?

Uninstall your drivers -> Reboot system. Clean with DDU: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html - Install newest driver. Try the newest BETA driver for your 880M while you are it. You can get it here: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/85885/en-uk - Release notes: http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/353.06/353.06-win8-win7-notebook-release-notes.pdf

As some else mentioned, you might also want to have a look at your BIOS and the vBIOS to make sure it's up-to-date. I can also try and have a closer look, if you can provide me with a DxDiag from your system.

Last edited:

andmor345

Karthal - ive basically got the same laptop build as you and i get 35-50fps on high settings with post processing/v sync low/off. Have you downloaded the newest (witcher specific) Nvidia patch? that caused a lot of issues and was forcing the intel GPU to be used instead - it also stopped you changing it in the nvidia control panel (was getting an 'access denied' error).

fixed it by deleting GeForce Experience and rolling back to the previous Nvidia patch (do both via add/remove programs in settings) - try that

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
So I know I'm reviving an incredibly old thread, but I'm still having this issue. Since the last post, I've been cleaning my inner laptop regularly, ensured that I've had the latest Nvidia drivers and have tweaked the Nvidia Control Panel settings for the best performance possible but this has made no difference.

A recent example would be Watch_Dogs 2; The benchmarks I use (which is still the same as the benchmarks I posted in the first post to this thread), say I should be getting a stable and decently high FPS on High settings at 1920x1080 and the in-game settings default to the high settings. When I run the game however, I barely get 20fps on the lowest possible settings at 1280x720 and this occurs throughout almost every modern game I play.

Anyone got any suggestions other than the ones mentioned previously in this thread?

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
There's something wrong with the system. I can't even begin to assess what that is without the laptop in front of me though.

A Firestrike score of 2683 is ridiculous for that GPU so there's a real issue there. From what I can tell browsing around you should be around 4500.

Has it always performed this way? Did you ever take it up with PCS for them to diagnose?

In your shoes right now I would wipe everything and start from scratch as something isn't right somewhere. Wiping the lot will help determine if it's hardware or software related.

There's no point in trying x game or y game until you get to the root cause of the issue. Thankfully Firestrike should be a simple enough test to let you know where you stand performance wise. I would recommend using HWMonitor to check the temperatures of your CPU and GPU during tests to ascertain of there are any temperature issues.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you look at notebookcheck's page they haven't actually benched Watch Dogs 2 on the 880M they are just speculating - there's no FPS number like there was with Mordor or like there is with Titanfall 2.

If you look at futuremark http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu
The 880M gets 7980
The GTX 660, min requirement for WD2, gets 6800
The recommended requirement, the GTX 780, gets 13770

So your GPU is somewhat above the minimum but nowhere near the recommended GPU ballpark. In my experience the 'recommended' GPU doesn't mean ultra or necessarily even 'very high' settings. Watch Dogs 2 is pretty brutal on GPUs it seems, apparently only just breaking 50FPS average on ultra with a desktop GTX 1060:
1080.png

But that doesn't explain the 20 FPS on lowest settings.

What temps are you getting on the CPU and the GPU when you run games?