GTX 980M HDMI output to external 4K TV

Carlosis

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

So i'm looking at getting the Defiance 15.6 with a GTX 980M. I have a 4K TV at home and provided it can output to the screen i'll just opt for the 1080 IPS screen for travelling.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Carl.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Are you looking at 4k gaming ? I am afraid I am not sure whether it can support a 4k TV, you could try phoning PCS for an official response

Carlosis

Bronze Level Poster
Yeh my intention is to run it at 4K at home then when i'm away just scale it back down. It'll be solely used for gaming.

Carlosis

Bronze Level Poster
I've sent them an email but nothing back yet. From what I've gathered so far if the laptop has both an integrated and dedicated graphics card the HDMI is often configured to the integrated and can't output 4K. Does anyone know if the Defiance laptop has integrated? I'll also see during the build if the HDMI can be configured to the dedicated 980M (if possible).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've sent them an email but nothing back yet. From what I've gathered so far if the laptop has both an integrated and dedicated graphics card the HDMI is often configured to the integrated and can't output 4K. Does anyone know if the Defiance laptop has integrated? I'll also see during the build if the HDMI can be configured to the dedicated 980M (if possible).

Yes, defiance has integrated graphics, they all do except the octane which has desktop CPU's.

Carlosis

Bronze Level Poster
In which case, is it possible during the build process to config the HDMI to the 980M?

I'm pretty much set on just sticking with the 1080 panel but i'm tempted to go 4K. What are the system limitations from being able to run games well at 4K? is it the card itself or does the processor/RAM spec contribute. I just don't want to be 2 years down the line wishing i'd opted for 4K.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In which case, is it possible during the build process to config the HDMI to the 980M?

I'm pretty much set on just sticking with the 1080 panel but i'm tempted to go 4K. What are the system limitations from being able to run games well at 4K? is it the card itself or does the processor/RAM spec contribute. I just don't want to be 2 years down the line wishing i'd opted for 4K.

A mobile 980m won't cope with 4k gaming just yet, you'd really need dual 980ti desktop cards to run 4k for gaming.

You won't be able to reroute the graphics to the 980m, it's a feature of the motherboard, not something you can change without redesigning the motherboard unfortunately.

Carlosis

Bronze Level Poster
Ok great thanks for the info, saves me digging in further. 4K gaming was more an after thought really, as i have a 4K TV i thought i may as well see how it fairs. Can the HDMI only output a max of 1080?

Finally would opting for the 3.7ghz 4870 over the 2.4ghz 4720 i7 make much of a difference gaming wise? I've been searching for this info for days!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok great thanks for the info, saves me digging in further. 4K gaming was more an after thought really, as i have a 4K TV i thought i may as well see how it fairs. Can the HDMI only output a max of 1080?

Finally would opting for the 3.7ghz 4870 over the 2.4ghz 4720 i7 make much of a difference gaming wise? I've been searching for this info for days!

HDMI can support up to 4k apparently for onboard graphics.

You wouldn't get any benefit for gaming on the 4870 over the 4720.

Carlosis

Bronze Level Poster
So essentially it can ouput say 4K video content to the TV but won't output 4K games running from the 980M?

Thanks for the tip, i gather getting the 4870 would only benefit video encoding etc?

Carlosis

Bronze Level Poster
Yeh that's what i figured. Just all feedback i've received so far states i can't set the res on the laptop to 4K when plugged into the TV. I guess it caps it somehow? it's not a deal breaker but i'd love to just try and run games at 4K even if it's on low/medium settings.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Use a micro-display port adapter instead that would work from the video card, wouldn't it?

The video card isn't enabled most of the time and it's fully disabled when you have an external screen attached. At these times the on board graphics are used.

There's no way around it currently, it's how laptops are designed to keep the power usage down.