GTX 990m

Dash

So there seems to be snippets of new GPU expected from Nvidia later this year, GTX 990m, any one know more info about this. It is said to be more powerful than GTX 980m in SLI!!. Could this be possible, considering the new Pascal GPU is expected next year? Anyone, any comments, thoughts?

Retron

Silver Level Poster
So there seems to be snippets of new GPU expected from Nvidia later this year, GTX 990m, any one know more info about this. It is said to be more powerful than GTX 980m in SLI!!. Could this be possible, considering the new Pascal GPU is expected next year? Anyone, any comments, thoughts?
Sounds like pie in the sky to me, especially the "more powerful than GTX 980m in SLI" bit!

There's never been an x90M GPU made, so I don't know why they'd suddenly start now. Furthermore, the "post first release" chips have just been more core-enabled versions of what's gone before. The recent generations, for example, are effectively the same chips you get in desktops, just with a few bits chopped off, a higher model number applied compared to the desktop chip and a with a much higher price tag! The chip in the current desktop 980 is what would have been sold as a 960 before Nvidia got greedy; the current 980M has a quarter of the chip disabled.

Based on past performance, I'd reckon a 985M (or 985MX) is more likely with either 1792 or the full 2048 cores enabled.

You're *not* going to see a GM200 chip (as used in the 980Ti and Titan X) in a laptop IMO.

This chart shows recent chips from NVidia and the cards in which they were used, along with how many of the maximum cores were enabled.

Chip (max cores) Desktop model Laptop model
GF104 (384) GTX 460 (336) GTX 480M (352 cores)
GTX 485M (384 cores)

GF114 (384) GTX 460v2 (336) GTX 580M (384 cores)
GTX 560Ti (384)

GK104 (1536) GTX 680 (1536) GTX 680M (1344 cores)
GTX 770 (1536) GTX 680MX (1536 cores)
GTX 780M (1536 cores)
GTX 880M (1536 cores)

GM204 (2048) GTX 980 (2048) GTX 980M (1536 cores)

Last edited:

RType23

Bronze Level Poster
Bugger... my laptop will be superseded inside of four weeks :(

Maybe I should ask PCS to hold my build while I crank the overtime for release....

Retron

Silver Level Poster
And via Notebookreview, some German site reviews an Asus laptop with external water-cooling, along with a full GM204 chip (which is overclocked compared to a desktop 980). No wonder it needs water-cooling!

No mention of the *name* of said chip, mind you... everyone on Notebookreview is assuming it's called 990M.

EDIT: As there's never been an x90M chip before and given that x90 desktop chips have been two GPUs on a board, I reckon they'll come out with a new name for it - similar to the way they used Titan with desktop GPUs. We'll see soon enough, anyway!

Last edited:

HonestFlames

Bronze Level Poster
What I'm more interested in from this story is, seemingly, a world first 17" 4K laptop display. Something that has been sadly lacking.

I was thinking of upgrading my old Vortex III to an Octane, but I'm going to hold that thought until there is a laptop that ticks all my boxes. 4K screen, 3 HD bays and a darn audio output that doesn't sound like a tinny little Gramophone when I connect my earphones.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What I'm more interested in from this story is, seemingly, a world first 17" 4K laptop display. Something that has been sadly lacking.

I was thinking of upgrading my old Vortex III to an Octane, but I'm going to hold that thought until there is a laptop that ticks all my boxes. 4K screen, 3 HD bays and a darn audio output that doesn't sound like a tinny little Gramophone when I connect my earphones.

There's a refresh happening at the moment in preperation for the mobile skylake processors and core m's.

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
Last edited:

Dash

Fantastic news and all the comments made to me at the beginning of my post, l can say l have been vindicated although the name is not as expected.