Guild Wars 2

Viper

Gold Level Poster
This guy has just summed why everyone intrested in MMO's buy guildwars 2 when its released august some time :p looks really good take a look :).

[video=youtube;xBC_ig73aMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs[/video]

Agito

Silver Level Poster
With 11 days remaining till the pre-purchase start, I thought I'd bump this up. Of you who are playing this, what server are you planning of going to? Race, class, crafting professions?

I'm going with a few friends of mine (been playing online with them for the last 5 years) to Desolation server. I'm totally fixed now on Sylvari Ranger and I'll be a Huntsman/Jewellery crafter.

Viper

Gold Level Poster
Hehe not sure what server but most likely a mage or possibly hunter, i tend to max one character and use it for PVE like my favourite class, then ill make lots of ALTS and get them to max level for variety, with the cap not being 20 though my play style may change.

mishra

Rising Star
I was like meh about this game, but... more I read, more videos I watch, more trailers appear... the hype is growing, and I already know I will be getting it. Can't wait :)

Agito

Silver Level Poster
I played in all the betas and I can tell you its not overhyped like Diablo 3 was. Its worth every bit of its internet hype.

Dayve

I fully disagree. I played the last beta weekend and it failed to live up to every bit of its hype. Every bit. It's touted as a revolution in MMO gaming, completely different to every other MMO ever made and the best thing since the wheel and sliced bread.

And yet when I played it I saw no differences. To kill an enemy you right-click to begin auto-attack and mash buttons 1-5 until it goes down. Sometimes you find a piece of new armour or a weapon that's a bit more powerful than the last. Quests? "Feed my cows". You find a bag of feed, right-click to pick it up, carry it to the cow, right-click the cow to feed it. Repeat with 8 more cows until quest complete. Oh, but you have a choice. You don't HAVE to feed the cows. You could also kill 30 bandits OR water corn crops. To water corn crops you find a bucket of water, right-click to pick it up, walk over to the corn, right-click the corn to water it. I explained how to kill 30 bandits earlier. Right-click to auto-attack, mash buttons. Just like in......... every other MMO.

Dynamic events, or whatever they call them. They're random events that you see on your radar, like an orange circle, and when you go near you become part of the event. What is the event? Kill waves of bandits/spiders/bears/whatever. Once you've done one you've done them all.

Now, I'm not saying I hate it. I enjoy MMO's, I may get it and I may play it and I may enjoy it. What I'm saying is that it absolutely, unquestionably in my mind, is NOT very much different from any of the thousands of MMO's out there right now. It's mediocre at best.

Agito

Silver Level Poster
I'll agree that it ArenaNet has hardly made anything new. I'd definitely chose a pet narwhal which shoots rainbows over GW2 any day. However its not the content that they invented or not, its how they served the content. C'mon, feeding cows was fun and you damn well know it. lol GW2 isn't exactly excelling in PvE, which I still found more entertaining than in any other MMO I've ever played and I played a lot of them. Your positioning actually matters. Its organised PvP oriented. Not even WvW, its the 5v5 tournament mode that I want more than anything.

Dynamic events? Seen it in Rift. Definitely not a new thing.
Auto-attacks? You sure you were playing GW2? There are no auto-attacks in GW2. All skill driven.

And damn... I read your entire post in Zero Punctuation voice. Subliminal mind trickery, thats what this is!

Last edited:

Dayve

Auto-attacks? You sure you were playing GW2? There are no auto-attacks in GW2.

Then one of us has to have been playing the wrong game because the one I played did indeed have auto-attack.

Edit - now you have me doubting myself. Hmm. But still, skill driven? Come on, you just mash 1-5. Like in WoW, SWTOR, LotRO, etc.

Ness

Sure, it's similar to other MMOs, but you get a lot of fun for your one-off fee. I'll be there for head start access. Hell, I have holiday from work too. Have played in a couple of stress tests and thoroughly enjoyed it. I made a Charr warrior, having not really bothered with one in GW. Agree, I just hit 1-5 a lot, but I suspect that's down to my lack of familiarity with the class. Oh, and 6 in an attempt not to die. Having played Guild Wars for some years, I found GW2 quite different, but easy to adapt to, though I reckon it will take me a while to pick up on all the stuff around weapons. They are more important than in GW1. I generally play casters, so my weps were just "things". The new weapon-dependant skills will take me a while. That and getting over the "wot no monk" issues I have. I reverted to type by reviving fallen comrades a lot of the time. So I'll be out there with a Guardian, Ele, Mes & Nec. I was hanging out for a Sylvari ranger, until I saw the Norn ones can have a snow leopard pet. Sorry, the kitty won:)

Agito

Silver Level Poster
Yeah I had some kind of a cat I caught in the jungle during the beta. I think it was a black panther. Its still a cat full of win.

@Dayve, SWToR and WoW both have auto attacks, you just barely notice them due to damage pop ups from skills. Couldn't say anything about LotRO, as never tried.

Dayve

Yeah I had some kind of a cat I caught in the jungle during the beta. I think it was a black panther. Its still a cat full of win.

@Dayve, SWToR and WoW both have auto attacks, you just barely notice them due to damage pop ups from skills. Couldn't say anything about LotRO, as never tried.

SWTOR didn't. Every class had a basic ability that did minimal damage, like a basic "slash" or something, but it didn't auto-attack, you had to keep hitting whatever key it was binded to.

Agito

Silver Level Poster
SWTOR didn't. Every class had a basic ability that did minimal damage, like a basic "slash" or something, but it didn't auto-attack, you had to keep hitting whatever key it was binded to.

Yeah, you're right. Funny. I was a marauder and for some reason now I thought that I had a skill that caused my autoattacks to do stacking bleed damage. I guess it was just any 3 attacks after using the skill that caused the bleed. Haven't played SWTOR for like 2 months already.

Dayve

Yeah, you're right. Funny. I was a marauder and for some reason now I thought that I had a skill that caused my autoattacks to do stacking bleed damage. I guess it was just any 3 attacks after using the skill that caused the bleed. Haven't played SWTOR for like 2 months already.

I played it for exactly 1 month until my subscription ran out. Already was at level 50 by then and bored of the game. It was fun levelling up seeing new areas and meeting new companions and stuff, the story was great, but at level 50 it got boring.

Agito

Silver Level Poster
I played it for exactly 1 month until my subscription ran out. Already was at level 50 by then and bored of the game. It was fun levelling up seeing new areas and meeting new companions and stuff, the story was great, but at level 50 it got boring.

Yes, lack of end game content sort of killed it for me. PvP was too repetitive and I'm a hard PvP player. Lineage 2 probably held me with its end game PvP the longest.

kokabel

Bronze Level Poster
Incidentally, the autoattack can be turned on an off, I think by right clicking the skill. It can be set to absolutely any skill, if you wanted that (you don't). For some reason it seems to be set to on for some characters, and set to off for others, for no particular reason.

Spamming buttons will only work in the early game, as it would in any other game. With the emphasis on positioning and timing, I can say that button mashing will get you nowhere once you start facing actually challenging content. Learning to dodge is of paramount importance, unless you enjoy taking one-shots to the face.

I've loved every bit of GW2 so far. I can't think of any other MMO I would rather play - and I have faith in ArenaNet. The PvP is fantastic - automatic bump to level 80 once in the PvP lobby, access to max gear and a match browser. There's plans to introduce more maps (someone found a leak for more maps) and more modes (hopefully, GvG, which was the defining mode for GW1). Emphasis on skill over time spent grinding for slightly better weapons. 'Better' weapons and armour are purely of cosmetic value.

As for narwhals that shoot rainbows... well, there is a shortbow (again, someone either found a leak or went through the .dat file) with unicorn's face on it, that shoots rainbows. Confirmed by a dev too. I think I need that weapon in real life!

Did any of you even check out the insane jumping puzzles yet? ;)

[video=youtube;TovL15CZqd4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TovL15CZqd4[/video]

[video=youtube;ahTymbP5zj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahTymbP5zj8[/video]

Last edited:

Dayve

The more I see, the more thoroughly mediocre it looks. I'm afraid I just do not understand the hype.

rickne

Master Poster
Ive been playing since the first closed beta and cannot wait for early start! Necro or Elementalist for me. Im not excited about the Elder scrolls at all because even in early builds the Devs have mentioned it wont be pulling any suprises. It'll be a bog standard grind fest , youll see.

kokabel

Bronze Level Poster
The more I see, the more thoroughly mediocre it looks. I'm afraid I just do not understand the hype.

Can't please them all.

I'm in two minds whether to get this game or wait for the elder scrolls online. I don't like the fact there are no mounts or factions. And why all this level-scaling stuff? Seems to me like they are totally going to make high-end geared players the same as a level 2?

As for level scaling, it works pretty well. Your high level character will not be the same as a level 2 character. It's there so that, should you want to go back to a low level area (to maybe help out a friend), you won't feel bored just face-rolling everything. All your unlocks; skills, gear, traits etc will remain unlocked and will be more powerful than your friend's newbie character - but both of you will be able to play without you going ahead trashing everything while your friend follows on behind you, feeling useless. I didn't much notice downscaling when I went back to lower level stuff, other than the green arrow by my actual level telling me I had been downscaled for the area.

Mounts are unnecessary. If they ever get introduced it would be purely for cosmetic or funzies value. The waypoint system and Asura Gate system ports people around much faster. Waypoints cost a few coins, Asura Gates are free and port you across huge distances.

As for factions, I guess it depends what you personally want them for. As I see it, factions are useful when promoting a PvPvE type competitiveness. As for that, there is World vs World (vs World), where three servers get pitted against each other across 4 huge maps (3 maps belong to each server respectively and can be invaded, the 4th middle map contains awesome things to capture and control). The servers that are fighting each other are swapped every two weeks (24 hours at launch) and pitted against other servers depending on success and failure rates. Being the most powerful server in the current WvW match nets excellent buffs for your entire server across all other areas of the game. The WvW maps are not just full of players and places to control and capture, but also boast powerful PvE enemies, quests, a PvP dungeon and various PvE based tricks, like a weather control point, siege machinery building, jumping puzzles and places to gather materials for crafting, and so on.

Can't say anything about Elder Scrolls as there's not much info around, other than it's a while away anyway, so you may as well try other games.

Last edited:

Viper

Gold Level Poster
guild wars so far has been fantastic, and the story line is there for me, this will be an amazing game just puzzled as were to pre-order -.-,