hal.dll missing or corrupt

The-Elt

So, I have this old laptop, it's a Gericom EGO 1580 XL+ (Re-Branded MSI 510c)

The original hard drive (80GB 4200rpm Toshiba MK8025GAS) reported a S.M.A.R.T error about a week ago, so I bought a new drive (160GB 5400rpm Samsung HM160HC) and a USB enclosure to transfer the data over. I used ShadowCopy to do a full disk clone to the new drive, I partitioned the drive into Windows and Games, the old hard drive was only a single partition.

I have tried loads of fixes and nothing has worked, I do not have the Windows XP cd but I do have an iso of the recovery console. Neither drive will boot to safe mode, they load the drivers and freeze, but the Toshiba will boot XP fine with no problems except very slow boot times.

I have been trying to fix for about a week now, any help will be appreciated.

Specs;
Intel Pentium M 735 (1.70GHz, One core)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128MB DDR)
512MB DDR RAM

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
can you get into windows at all? If so can you post your Boot.ini file config pls

To view Boot.ini file:

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Startup, click Edit.

The-Elt

can you get into windows at all? If so can you post your Boot.ini file config pls

To view Boot.ini file:

-or-

I have already done that on my main machine (What I'm on now) and through recovery console. Like I said, I have tried almost everything.

Buzz

Master

To view Boot.ini file:

-or-

Ah just spotted you can only on toshiba. but dont understand, you say neither will boot to safe mode but the Toshiba will boot normally? Why cant you just use the recovery console on the new drive assuming its the recovery partition.

The-Elt

To view Boot.ini file:

-or-

Ah just spotted you can only on toshiba. but dont understand, you say neither will boot to safe mode but the Toshiba will boot normally? Why cant you just use the recovery console on the new drive assuming its the recovery partition.

I don't really get what you said at the end. :S

Buzz

Master
I do not have the Windows XP cd but I do have an iso of the recovery console. Neither drive will boot to safe mode, they load the drivers and freeze, but the Toshiba will boot XP fine with no problems except very slow boot times.

You say neither drive will boot to safemode but the toshiba boots normally. And was it the Recovery ISO you used to install windows on the new drive?

The-Elt

You say neither drive will boot to safemode but the toshiba boots normally. And was it the Recovery ISO you used to install windows on the new drive?

No, I used ShadowCopy which runs in Windows. If you could give me the names of some other disk cloning software I would be happy to try them.

I have tries EaseUS disk copy but it stopped at 4% and wouldn't do anything.

The-Elt

Good News!

I managed to fix the hal.dll problem, went through a list of all the hal variations and one worked!

New problem that the Samsung and Toshiba have fallen to, Windows locks up at the splash screen before login, on both drives now so I think it is something with the laptop. Any ideas?

EDIT

The system does the same in safe mode and all other boot options.

Last edited: