Hard drive - broken SATA connector

Yaric

Hi there,

Yesterday when installing new hard drive I accidentally have damaged SATA connector in my other drive. The plastic bit surrounding metal connectors just fallen off:

photo_2.jpg

At this point I am unable to connect the HD to the PC. Any advices how can I do it just to get back my stuff saved on this drive? I was thinking about buying another damaged Seagate Constellation ES (ST31000524NS) drive and replace the front board (as in the picture attached):

photo_1.jpg

or is there any other way to do it? Maybe someone here has a damaged drive like mine. If yes I would be more than happy to buy it from you.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
All that plastic is for is pressing the pins against the relevant part of the connector. So in theory any (thin enough) bit of plastic would do, cardboard might work. Anything that's not conductive. But using anything other than the correct bit of plastic might result in damaging it even worse. if you want to get the data off it you have 2 options.

1. send it away for professional retrieval (expensive)
2. Buy an identical model HDD, replace the board and hope. (Might not be physically possible in your kitchen)
3.Try a random bit of plastic that looks about right, Worst case you have to go for option 1 anyway...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cardboard would do the same, you could just cut off a piece and make it the right thickness and wedge it against the top end of the usb slot on the cable so that is holds the pins when you insert them.