Hard Drive Prices Going Up

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Due to the Thailand floods, hard drive prices have sky rocketed. For example, a 1TB hard drive used to cost < £40 inc VAT, but the pricing is now coming through at around £110, for example on Ebuyer: http://www.ebuyer.com/177466-hitach...sataii-7200rpm-32mb-cache-oem-hds721010cla332

When the pricing started to increase we bought around 4 weeks' worth of stock, but this is starting to run thin now. Expect to see our prices rise sharply soon! My advice is to order now or expect to pay siginificantly more for your computer in the coming weeks!

This is affecting all computer suppliers globally!

More Info: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e....,cf.osb&fp=8b73aa93e2c1bf5c&biw=1280&bih=968

Here a pic of a HDD factory:

ALeqM5gOxl87fJLCfmB64gCCvnWkzmVhRg

western-digital-flood-300x225.jpg

323805.jpg

sony-underwater.png

Last edited:

TravelSite

I was hoping to hold off until the i7 2700k goes onto the Overclocked page - but obviously don't want to wait too long in case the hard drives start costing a lot more.

Is there any indication on when the 2700k may appear on the overclocked section? Thanks

Colin.

What a nightmare. especially for you guys.

I am currently holding off buying my PC until my Bursary money comes in, which was supposed to have arrived by now but clearly has not.

I am also waiting for the new asus motherboards with PCI Express 3.0 and Ivy Bridge support. Will these be arriving in the next couple of weeks. If so I may be able to waiver waiting for the Bursary in light of this hard drive situation.

Either way I want to get my order in before the Christmas rush :santa:, my last PCS PC was bought spring 2008 so I need a new one.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
neither pci 3 or ivy bridge will be available this side of christmas, otherwise id be getting one, but if you kept waiting for the next best thing, youd never buy your computer

also, is the FX-8150 going to be OC'd? if so any idea of the speed?

and its a big shame about the HDDs, i wondered why on Amazon the 750GB Caviar black was £140+ thoguht a company like WD would have more than one factory tbh

Corfate

Author Level
neither pci 3 or ivy bridge will be available this side of christmas, otherwise id be getting one, but if you kept waiting for the next best thing, youd never buy your computer

and its a big shame about the HDDs, i wondered why on Amazon the 750GB Caviar black was £140+ thoguht a company like WD would have more than one factory tbh

I think they do have more than one factory, but the majority is done in Thailand.. Cheap labour and all that im guessing..

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yeh obviously, but i thought they might have 2 spread out one china, one thailand or something

Colin.

That is a good point. However Asus has already released the motherboard revisions that support Ivy Bridge. I just thought that if they were coming soon I would grab one then upgrade to Ivy Bridge sometime in the future. If they are definitely not coming before Christmas then I guess I would order very soon, will see what PCS's line is on the motherboards.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
a PCS admin may answer your question and they will obviously be more knowledgable about the situation than me, PCI 3 is not expected til at least Q2 next year and probably wont get into any kind of full swing til Q1 2013