Hard drive set up - help please

StuWar

Hello
Thanks in advance for your tips.
My new PC has just arrived from PCS and well excited to set it up.

I have a 256GB M.2. drive for Windows and Programmes + a 1TB for my files.

My plan is:

1) Partition the M.2 Drive into C: for windows and D: for programmes

Currently windows as installed is using 45GB of the 256GB.
What do you think I should leave for windows? 80GB? 100GB?

2) Change user files location E: (The 1TB SSD)

It looks like a manual process to move the User files currently at C:/users to E:/users
e.g. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10

And also not sure if this will work for the hidden AppData which on previous computers seems to be ever growing

Do you know if there is a quicker or better way please?

3) Cloaning my set up - so I can go back to a clean install should I need to do so in future.

--------------

I'd love to hear your feedback on the above and let me know what you think and if there's a better way to do it.

Thanks

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Personally I see no advantage to partitioning the M.2 drive the way you suggest. It's much more sensible to have Windows and programs installed in a single partition the size of the whole drive.

The procedure in the link you posted is the best way to move files and folders from C:\Users to E:\Users.

StuWar

Hi Ubuysa
Thanks for your message.
I am interested in the logic. My limited understanding is that if I wanted to reinstall windows in the future then a partition would enable me to retain the programme files in a standalone place so I would only have to reinstall windows.
Please can you kindly let me know where my logic is flawed or why it is better to have all programmes in a single partition. I am interested to learn.
Thank you

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My limited understanding is that if I wanted to reinstall windows in the future then a partition would enable me to retain the programme files in a standalone place so I would only have to reinstall windows.
No, that’s not accurate, programs install themselves into the program files on the windows partition, they also embed in the registry along with various user folders in windows.

If you reinstall windows you’d have to reinstall programs also.

There’s no reason to split the OS and programs.

Nowadays you don’t have partitions, you purely have one drive for os and programs, then a separate drive for data. This is so the data isn’t touched when reinstalling windows.

StuWar

Thanks Spydertracks - that's super helpful and clear.

Is it best to put the hidden APPDATA folder (within USERS) on the separate data drive?

Or is it simply a case of putting documents, downloads, pictures etc on the data drive only?

Thanks so much for your help.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Is it best to put the hidden APPDATA folder (within USERS) on the separate data drive?

Or is it simply a case of putting documents, downloads, pictures etc on the data drive only?

No, leave everything as it is on the OS drive.

Just move any data libraries to the secondary drive.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster

I wouldn't move APPDATA, personally. In enterprise environments I've seen it cause a few issues.