Hardware Help!!

Durand1981

Bronze Level Poster
So this is my current setup

PC Specs.PNG

My aim is to upgrade the GFX Card to an RTX 3070 Ti, for which I know I will need more power. From what I understand 750 watt SHOULD do what I need just fine BUT, is their one that I can almost for want of a better word PLUG & PLAY.

Meaning remove any connected leads / screws and remove PSU then just re-plug original leads into new PSU and resecure the new PSU.
If so what PSU would that be ???

Also I was looking back at an old post suggesting to pick up another 16GB of RAM, I see the slots are alternated (IF) I bought more is it safe to just slot them in the 2 free slots so long as its the correct RAM for the board and will it work as I am expecting it to.
I have heard about it bogging it down rather than helping or something (not computer savvy) so I may be off about what I am trying to explain.

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Your current PSU is non modular, meaning all cables are permanently wired to it. So if you upgrade to say a 750W RMX, you'll need to disconnect all the existing cables (CPU, motherboard, PCIe, SATA, etc) from devices and connect new cables to them and then to the PSU. And the necessary cable management of course.

As for RAM upgrade, you might see better performance by replacing existing RAM modules with faster ones (3200 MHz for example) than adding two additional slower ones. I'm not an expert in this area though, so someone else might provide more insight. But if main purpose is gaming, you rarely need more than 16Gb with current tier titles.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I doubt upgrading the RAM is especially worth it, unless you're seeking the highest frame rates, e.g. playing 1080p with low settings. If you're using all your memory, add more, but I wouldn't upgrade. The B460 board won't take more than DDR4-2933 memory anyway, as any more than that is considered overclocking on 10th gen and the B460 won't overclock.

I replaced the PSU in my system recently. As @IRLRobinS says, it's not that difficult, but a bit fiddly at times. But you have a nice big case, so it won't be that bad. Just keep track of which components need a power connector. I'd suggest an 850W unit, though, to give you some headroom. I'd also suggest the 3070 over the 3070 Ti, given the tiny increase in performance for quite a bit more cost.

Durand1981

Bronze Level Poster
Its for streaming and gaming, my setup isn't to bad now with current specs. But could very much do with a boost in performance, I get some bottleneck / freeze issues at times. That is the best way I can describe it, but overall super happy with it considering.