Have a look over this guys............

Park_Ranger

Bronze Level Poster
Just a gaming PC for latest titles, one thing I will wait for before I order will be the GTX1080

Any suggestions appreciated, and I know it's a fair bit of cash, but my last PC has seen me through the past 5 years and will be passed down to my youngest son, with a new (Maybe GTX1080) graphics card.

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Eight Core Processor Extreme i7-5960X (3.0GHz) 20MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1: E-ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
EXTERNAL MEMORY CARD READER (READS MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ PLATINUM AX1200i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Apache Black Quiet Fan (fitted to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Z 5.1 PCI-E Soundcard - OEM
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) Professional DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor Cables
1 x 2 METRE DVI-D CABLE
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days

jerpers

Master
Looks sweet but huge overkill for just gaming.
For gaming you will be better off with a skylake build, mid level motherboard, 16Gb of 2666mhz Ram, an 850w or 1000w PSU (the 1080 GPU's should draw less power) and no soundcard unless you need specific connections.

Park_Ranger

Bronze Level Poster
Just gaming really as I have an older PC I do my other stuff on, like I said it's over the top but I would like it to last 5 years +

It's also a way of getting me a new PC and passing a better PC (My old one) onto my son, and I'll get his old one back (An i5) to replace this old one I'm on now typing this, anyway that's what I told the wife.

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

As suggested the build is way more than necessary for gaming and perhaps would even be a little slower than a 4 core i7 with a faster overall clock speed. I would suggest a look at an i7 Skylake build as suggested above as I think it will be plenty in the future as well as better suited right now.

As for RAM, 16GB is plenty but if you do go for the Noctua heatsink you've chosen, this is so big it will obscure the RAM slots entirely meaning upgrading will require a bit of work. I have a Cosmos II Ultra case with that heatsink in and whilst it keeps the CPU very cool, it is a bit big for my liking.

I would also suggest waiting for the new Nvidia cards as I am expecting them to be a real step up again. The outstanding 980ti is still a great card but it is going to be eclipsed by its replacement.

1000W PSU is probably plenty, even if you do add a second 1080 later on.

Perhaps it makes sense to go with a Blu-ray drive nowadays for the extra £35 or so. So many games are bought online now so the DVD drive won't get a lot of use. You might want the flexibility of the next generation of optical media considering your budget and you will save loads by getting a Skylake build.

A mid level board is fine for what you want to do and in some ways I think the Maximus board is a little bit gimmicky. I speak from experience again having bought lots of machines with mid and top level boards, both gaming and workstation types. Just make sure it has USB 3.1 and supports SLI if you want to add a second card later on.

I quite like the 200R case. It's not an expensive one but it does the job very well. I have three PCs in my office running out of the 200R and despite the massive CPU and GPU workload they are put under they are faultless. My home PC was built into a 200R and all I did was add a couple of high quality fans in the roof for extra cooling.

A few options to consider....

Frank100

Park_Ranger

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for that Frank, I see what you mean about the Noctua heatsink it's big, but most of those type of heatsinks stick up with the fan vertical, what would you suggest, I'm not too worried about the price.

I am waiting for the GTX1080, would like a GTX1080Ti but that could be some time away.

Asus ROG Rampage boards, I have one in my other PC although it is 5 years old now, never had any problems with it.

The 200R is one I like, it's not fancy or flashy, good for me.

Cheers.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The rampage motherboard is for enthusiast overclockers which I assume it is not the intended use, I am surprise it fits on the 200R case

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If money's no obstacle, I'd be tempted to get a more upmarket case. Something with even better build quality and better features. Fan controller and a bit of sound padding maybe. Fractal R5 is supposed to be good. Though I respect Frank100's personal experience with the 200R

I'd also re-iterate his advice, especially:
As suggested the build is way more than necessary for gaming and perhaps would even be a little slower than a 4 core i7 with a faster overall clock speed. I would suggest a look at an i7 Skylake build as suggested above as I think it will be plenty in the future as well as better suited right now.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-is-the-fastest-gaming-cpu
You can see the i7 6700K beat out the i7 5960X in games.

Park_Ranger

Bronze Level Poster
If money's no obstacle, I'd be tempted to get a more upmarket case. Something with even better build quality and better features. Fan controller and a bit of sound padding maybe. Fractal R5 is supposed to be good. Though I respect Frank100's personal experience with the 200R

I'd also re-iterate his advice, especially:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-is-the-fastest-gaming-cpu
You can see the i7 6700K beat out the i7 5960X in games.

Thanks for that, I could well be tempted by the R5, just the USB sockets on the top put me off a bit.

The Eurogamer article is interesting, but 3 or so fps difference on most of the games that are running at 80-120 fps is not going to be physically noticeable, but who knows what will happen when the GTX1080 is out, although the Skylake is cheaper.

Interesting stuff.......

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The Eurogamer article is interesting, but 3 or so fps difference on most of the games that are running at 80-120 fps is not going to be physically noticeable
although the Skylake is cheaper.
That's kinda my point :) Skylake's generally better in gaming - not by much most of the time, and in some specific games the 5960x might win out, but overall it's better. And it's massively cheaper. Why pay more for something generally not quite as good for your intended use.
It's not just Eurogamer either: http://www.overclockers.com/intel-skylake-i7-6700k-cpu-review/ (gaming benches half way down).

If you play any multiplayer games/MMOs, then the stronger clock per clock performance and higher OCs of Skylake will likely be an even greater asset.

Park_Ranger

Bronze Level Poster
OK latest build, you'll like this, I could save a tenner here and there, but hey ho !

Comments appreciated, still going to wait for the GTX1080

Might even go for a new monitor, saved just about enough, I have a 27" iiyama right now, might go for the 30", any thoughts guys.

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® MAXIMUS VIII HERO: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0
Memory (RAM)
32GB HyperX PREDATOR QUAD-DDR4 3000MHz X.M.P (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ PLATINUM AX1200i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Apache Black Quiet Fan (fitted to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Z 5.1 PCI-E Soundcard - OEM
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) Professional DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor Cables
1 x 2 METRE DVI-D CABLE
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)
Delivery

£2460 inc VAT about £600 cheaper than my previous build.

Last edited:

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

There certainly are better cases and with savings made by the Skylake build you could spend more on the case. I just wanted to champion the little 200R which is more than people expect it to be for the price.

As for heatsinks I don't have experience of the other ones PCS uses but I would expect them all to be perfectly good.

Frank100

Park_Ranger

Bronze Level Poster
I was tempted by the R5 case, but it's the USB on the top that put me off, and the door to get at the CD drive, not that they get used much these days.

I would have chosen the 200R case even if they were not priced, so it's not cost cutting going for a cheap case I just happen to like it.

Any thought on the 30" iiyama monitor ?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
At 30" I'd probably suggest going for a 4k monitor rather than 1440p, at which point you really do want a Pascal GPU. Or two. :)

You could also save money on the PSU. You just don't need / won't even be able to use 1200W.