Have I been naughty or nice?

shagly

I went for 4 x 8 as it was non-RGB and not as tall but as noted previously re the H100i, I can turn the lighting off, it leaves the other 2 slots free and the pipework shouldn't be a problem.
Turns out, that last bit is wrong. The good news is that the build is on, the bad(ish) news is that the RGB sticks and cooler won't fit in together so the RAM loses and it's back to 4 x 8 non-RGB.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
No... I just don't understand how 4x8 somehow takes up less space than 2x16 when the same sticks are considered.

2x16 RGB will be the same height as 4x8 RGB
2x16 Non RGB will be the same height as 4x8 non RGB

I'm just querying why you would want 4x8 at all as it's a poor choice for future upgrade and it's mostly slower due to being at the mercy of the memory controller.

Your quote above reads like you have presumed there are 6 slots rather than 4?

shagly

All very true (apart from the last bit). However, PCS don't offer 2 x 16 non-RGB in 3200MHz.
I noted that, after lots of Googling, I didn't foresee a problem with the H100i as the pipework attaches to the cooling head with 90 degree elbows and doesn't foul any RAM sticks I could find images of. PCS contacted me to say that say that there was a problem, and that the lower height of the non-RGB sticks would fix it.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would give them a call and see if 2x16 is an option. It's a better choice.

Regarding the 6 slots comment, this was the quote that threw me...

I went for 4 x 8 as it was non-RGB and not as tall but as noted previously re the H100i, I can turn the lighting off, it leaves the other 2 slots free and the pipework shouldn't be a problem.

You said you went for 4x8 then stated it leaves the other 2 slots free. That made me think that you got confused about the amount of slots available.

shagly

Just been on to PCS and the answer is that the 2 x 16 sets stocked are AMD specific so the amendment stands.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Never heard of such a thing. Surprised they said that to be honest, that's not a good statement to make.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The price difference between 1 x 4gb 2133MHz RAM and 4 x 8gb 3200 MHz RAM is apparently £139 so one could just buy the system with the bare minimum and buy a decent RAM configuration elsewhere.

shagly

Hold that thought. One could but this one can’t as my “pride and joy” is now into the testing and configuration stage. 💗

If I find £160 (for the 2 x 16 kit) down the back of the settee and am feeling very, very brave, maybe one of these days I’ll have a go at swapping it over. As discussed earlier in the thread –
“It’s (Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO) picky with RAM”
“it (the RAM) will work - PCS will make sure of it before shipping it to you”

So I'll employ a bit of selective memory and temporarily wipe the possible performance drop from my mind and bathe in the glory that is my new PCS PC. :love:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It wouldn't be worth swapping over for £160 after you get the PC, just if you could have bought it cost-neutrally.

shagly

I didn't foresee a problem with the H100i as the pipework attaches to the cooling head with 90 degree elbows and doesn't foul any RAM sticks I could find images of. PCS contacted me to say that say that there was a problem, and that the lower height of the non-RGB sticks would fix it.
The mist clears - it wasn't the pipework that was the problem, it is, the radiator, or more precisely, the radiator fan -

20200125_162956 - Copy.jpg

The ends of the non-RGB sticks tuck under the fan.

shagly

Being a mere mortal, I can’t post this in one of the higher threads –

The PCS Welcome Booklet supplied with my order, includes a hyperlink to a download page on their website. Along with the “drivers” the text makes reference to, in my case (and I assume the same for most), there is also available for download – a digital copy of “the Welcome Pack” (the welcome booklet), a 90 day free trial of BullGuard Anti-Virus software but also, an ISO image of my OS, Windows 10. I took the option to have a copy loaded onto a USB but (unless I missed it) it isn’t obvious that this is available so some customers might not know it’s there.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Windows 10 OS can be downloaded direct from M$ themselves. It's available publicly to anyone. The option for the USB drive is simply for the convenience of having it already loaded onto the USB drive for you. If you have a decent size USB pen and access to the internet it's something you can create yourself.