have i done the right rig for a gaming rig

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
hi i know ive prob posted a couple of times with regards to laptops but please tell me this is ok for gaming with a good gpu

2.2ghz
6990m
80gig ssd
500 hdd 7200rpm
8 gig ram
17 inch screen 1080p
thermal paste (£9)

also would the little makers put the windows operating system on the ssd or the hdd???

thank you.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Firstly, can you put your whole spec on, makes it easier, to do it, do your spec in the configurator, press proceed, press continue, then on the page that comes up, under the price, there is a button that says post to forum, click it! Copy and paste your spec here! Of what I can see, your spec looks good, the OS will be put on the primary disk so as long as you set the SSD to be the primary disk you will be fine.

Reactions: PCS

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
apologies i just did it quick. here
Chassis & Display Vortex II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card 2GB AMD® Radeon® HD 6990M - DirectX® 11 (17.3" Vortex II)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 80GB INTEL® 320 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s (upto 270MB/sR | 90MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Looks good to me, next upgrade would be the SSD to a SATA 6GB/s one, like the kingston hyperx. It would be worth looking to see if you can afford it. Or, if you really want better gaming, dropping the SSD and upgrading the GPU wouldn't be a bad idea.

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
ive done mass research and really cant decide between the 6990m and the 580m. some games work better with the 580m. others with the 6990m. they seem on par and more than capable of maxing/high settings in games and playing/running very well.
got that ssd as the amount of stuff i read with regards to boot times and how quick they are.reviews on current one ive chosen said its decent.

thank you for looking. your and absolute star on these forums.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
No probs, that is what I am here for :) ! For the card, the 6990 will be very good, the only slight problem is it does run hotter. I would strongly recommend a cooling stand but apart from that, it will be a very, very solid spec! Enjoy it!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
for gaming, getting a Hybrid second drive would be more beneficial than a faster SSD, as you wont really be able to put much on there gaming wise

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
externals dont work very well with games really, so you want a decent drive for your games as it will soon fill up, the hybrid is much faster than a standard drive and isnt that much more price wise any more

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
As long as you have enough space internally, you will be fine for games. You don't really need a hybrid as a secondary drive. You can save money there!