Have I missed the boat?

Hey guys, I'll keep this brief...

Ready to order the following spec..

Chassis & Display
Vortex II:17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£69)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2860QM (2.50GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD® Radeon® HD 6990M - DirectX® 11 (17.3" Vortex II)
Memory - Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N NETWORK CARD
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,980.00 including VAT and delivery.

First question - Will this make short work of any current game I throw at it on max settings?

Second question - Is there any way to improve or balance the cost for very little sacrifice/additional? E.g. if I double the RAm to 16gb will i see that much difference? Should I go for the Intel SSD?

Last question (more to PCS than the general public) - If I order now, can you guarantee delivery before Christmas or have I left it too late?

Cheers in advance

aliasgamer

tom_gr7

Life Serving
wow, erm you know you could get like the best pc ever for that budget!

but yeah its pretty ace, I dunno how the 6990 performs though,

I need the portability of a laptop; I travel a fair bit between UK & Canada For work, so I'd like to take my gaming with me as well as my work.

Money is not really an object but I was putting a soft cap of 2k on it.

Looks like being an out-of-the-box solution, anyone recommend ? I have to say, the Alienware don't overly impress me, and one guy I know that went down that route does not recommend them.

Appreciate the input....

aliasgamer

Usukane

Gold Level Poster
I think you'd have a job finding anyone who's going to tell you that's a bad spec, it's gorgeous.

As for getting it before Christmas - laptops tend to cycle through faster than desktops as far as i'm aware so you might still be alright on that front. Give them a quick call beforehand, they can easily clear all your concerns up, they can also tell you if everything is in stock or not.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Looks like a gamers dream, if you haven't already ordered, this would be my recommendation. First, upgrade to the 580, it is a little faster so you might as well. To afford it, drop the hybrid to the black Scorpio, it is a very fast drive and is a lot less. Finally, drop the wifi card down one notch to the intel. Then I would recommend getting 16gb of ram as you probably are an intensive user and ram is dirt cheap! Other than that, looks like a very solid spec, enjoy it! For the order times, you may still get it by Christmas as laptops are faster to build than desktops.

Rakk

The Awesome
if I double the RAm to 16gb will i see that much difference?

If it's mostly for gaming, no, doubling the RAM will not make any difference at all.
Only time you really need more than 8GB is if you're doing really RAM intensive stuff like video-editing, or using rendering software.

Xoil

For a laptop you havent missed the boat just yet... select Guanteed Christmas Deliveyr Fast-Track (£39)

AndyL

I would upgrade to the GTX580M GPU and downgrade to the i7-2760 CPU (there is virtually no perfomance difference between the 2760 and the 2860 - but there is a hefty price difference!)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Xmas-Fast-Track-Banner-2011.jpg

Based on the comment about the Viper III chassis, I've now spec'd a new option, how would this baby perform vs the previous, even if I upgraded that to the GTX580?

Chassis & Display
Viper III: 18.4" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2760QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
2 x 1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M - DirectX® 11 (SLI)
Memory - Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 510 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 450MB/sR | 210MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 510 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 450MB/sR | 210MB/sW)
RAID
RAID 0 (STRIPED VOLUME - 2 x same size & model HDD / SSD) (£9)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ULTIMATE-N 6300 (450Mbps)
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 3 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Viper Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (4,700 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,894.00 including VAT and delivery.

Christmas delivery is not as important now, I'd rather spec the right rig than rush one through.

I'm obviously giving up the matte screen here but am willing to as a trade off for increased performance. Still under £2k which is good.

aliasgamer

Last edited:

truegrace

Enthusiast
2 560s will out perform a single 580 providing whatever you are playing is sli compatible. You do have to contend with possible micro stuttering from sli, and normally are requiring on decent driver support. Now what would be nice is a viper with duel 580s. I haven't found anywhere in the UK you can source 1 from though, and let's face it, even if you could they wouldn't be as good as PCS :)

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Looks like a beast and would out perform the vortex. If you really need two SSDs then go for it but my recommendation would be to get one SSD as a boot drive then maybe raid 0 two 500gb black scorpios. Anyway, still looks like a solid spec. I was just wondering, is there a way to turn off sli and just use one card? Becuase you could do that with games that don't support sli and probably still max out the game or come close to that. Also I would really recommend getting the matt screen. Well worth it!

truegrace

Enthusiast
You should be able to disable 1 of the cards to run a single 560 in system manager. And always handy if something was to happen to 1 card down the line as you could still game until you can get a replacement :)

The viper currently doesn't offer matte screens, just play indoors and enjoy the glossy finish :p

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Ok, thanks for that, the sli will be fine then because if the game doesn't support it, turn of one card. I'd the game doesn't support it, it is likely to be olderr or not require as much gpu so one card should max it out. Anyway, I am sure you won't be dissappointed, best of luck!

As a matter of interest, from what I read in other threads, the 2x560's is only a minimal upgrade to a single 580. If that's the case, what additional benefit does the Viper chassis offer, other than a slightly larger screen (although it is glossy).

I also went for the Raid SSD's, as performance is more important than simple storage; I have 3 1TB potable USB's that can cover storage.