Have I missed the boat?

micdob

Hey guys, I'll keep this brief...

Ready to order the following spec..

Chassis & Display
Vortex II:17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£69)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2860QM (2.50GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD® Radeon® HD 6990M - DirectX® 11 (17.3" Vortex II)
Memory - Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N NETWORK CARD

Price: £1,980.00 including VAT and delivery.

First question - Will this make short work of any current game I throw at it on max settings?

Second question - Is there any way to improve or balance the cost for very little sacrifice/additional? E.g. if I double the RAm to 16gb will i see that much difference? Should I go for the Intel SSD?

Cheers in advance

aliasgamer

I ordered pretty much the exact same laptop as this last week.
The only differences are, I have 4gig RAM, and 120GB INTEL 510 SSD as my primary with 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK as my secondary hard disks.

Pretty much the only game I have been playing is Skyrim. Im playing on ultra settings, with some high def texture packs installed with no slowdown at all!

AndyL

You also have the annoyance of possible micro stutering with SLI. Also im not to sure that the performance increase of 2xGTX560M SLI is worth the price increase over a Vortex with GTX580M.

truegrace

Enthusiast
You also have the annoyance of possible micro stutering with SLI. Also im not to sure that the performance increase of 2xGTX560M SLI is worth the price increase over a Vortex with GTX580M.

There shouldn't be a huge price difference between the 2, but the performance increase isn't huge considering you might have sli issues. The viper looks more beastly than the vortex if you are in to that sort of thing :p

Here's where I am on the Viper...

It's a bit 'shiny' for my taste, I much prefer the finish of the Vortex. Would I prefer the extra 1" screen over the Matte of the Vortex, no, I don't think I'd notice it that much.

While I would be happy with the single 580 over the 560 SLI's, it would be nice to be able to upgrade to 2x 580's in the future (which I can't do with the Vortex) - although - by the time the 580's drop in price, I imagine there will be a latest single card that will stand up to them.

Drives - I will go for a single SSD (240) and probably have the 500gb Scorpio Black as a secondary. Would you normally run your games from the SSD or the Scorpio? If it's the latter, then I will probably miss having the raid 0 on a pair of black's, something the Viper could offer.

I'm taking my time over this one but I'm still leaning towards the Vortex.

By the way, does the Viper offer backlit keyboard ?

aliasgamer

truegrace

Enthusiast
No backlit keyboard unfortunately. Personally I don't think the difference between gpus would really be noticeable, so could come down to the extra drive space.

I think ya right about the extra inch, probably not gonna notice not having it if you do go for the vortex.

Space is not as important as performance (I have several 1tb portable hdd's that I use for storage).

As I say, not being used to SSD, I'm not sure if you would install/run the latest games (Skyrim, MW3 etc) on the SSD or the secondary drive? If the option of a 3rd drive offers only a space upgrade, then it's out of the decision equation.