he;p with usb 3 not working!

niklad

Hi guys.

Hope you can help me. I got my computer last month and i've had intermittent problems with the usb ports, in particular the usb 3 ports. I have a sabertooth z77 motherboard and a corsair graphite case.

My case has one usb 3 port at the front (which is connected by usb cable to the motherboard at the back of my system) I updated my motherboard bios the other week and now the usb port refuses to recognise my western digital 2tb external hard drive at all. (dont even get the windows beep when you connect it) When i connect it to usb 2 it recognises fine.

I've tried a usb 3 memory stick and that works fine in the usb 3 port. So is it something to do with my external hard drive?? It was working intermittently before I flashed my motherboard bios with the latest version.

I've tried googlling this but all that was suggested was to reset the bios to default settings, which i've tried but it doesn't do anything.

Any suggestions appreciated!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i'd give pcs a bell mate,

as the me stick works, it sounds like the hard drive to me. DOes it work in a standard 2.0 slot?

niklad

i'd give pcs a bell mate,

as the me stick works, it sounds like the hard drive to me. DOes it work in a standard 2.0 slot?

Hey mate, yeah it does work in usb 2 slots.

I've managed to get it to work now. I read on another forum that if you close the computer, disconnect teh power and all the usb peripherals, then restart the computer and one by one connect the usb peripherals starting with the keyboard and mouse it should then work.....as it resets the usb or something like that.

Sounded very bizarre but worth giving it a shot, and hurrah it actually worked and my hard drive can now be recognised by the usb 3 port!