Headphone jack has stopped working

Some help, please: I am a professional musician so this is pretty important to me - quite simply, my headphones have stopped working. This happened quite suddenly this afternoon, and I have checked with several other pairs, so it's not the headphones themselves, I've looked in Control Panel and Device Manager and there is no sign of the headphones, and under "Output Devices" only Speaker is listed. The jack and headphones have worked perfectly since this new machine arrived from PCS about a month ago, then suddenly crackle, crackle and now nothing. Spec of machine below:

Chassis & Display Initia Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 60Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen

(1920x1080)

Processor (CPU) Intel® CoreTM i7 Quad Core Processor i7-10510U (1.8GHz, 4.9GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card Integrated Intel® HD Graphics
1st Storage Drive 1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR |

530MB/sW)

External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
Memory Card Reader Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor 1 x 45W AC Adaptor
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery Initia Series Integrated 36WH Lithium Ion Battery
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options 1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 1 x USB 3.2 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS
Keyboard Language MULTI COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from

Online Account

Office Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser Google ChromeTM
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year

Labour)

Bhuna50

Author Level
Sounds like you have tried looking in the places that would have been suggested - ie sound properties etc, and if its not appearing in there and has suddenly just started crackling and now not working at all it does look like it could be a hardware issue with the jack slot.

I am not sure if its easy to open the back of the case of the Initia and have a look to see if there is anything obviously loose - if you can it might be worth looking in.

Lets just rule out potential software /driver issue first though - Could you check that no windows updates applied themselves recently that may have caused driver issues? Could you post a copy of your windows update screen along with history of updates?

1633803750748.png

Bhuna50

Author Level
OK - you seem to have a lot of updates on there from today - did you update these BEFORE the issue or have you just run update and caught up to date because we asked for a copy now?

This is important because it might be that one of these updates has caused an issue but if you have only just run the update now (as in after the issue) then have you tested it again to see if an update has fixed the issue?

I downloaded the updates yesterday and the problem is still persisting today. Btw, Bluetooth headphones work perfectly.

The funny thing is that the little pop-out was a nuisance, but now it's gone anyway. As a layman, what I find so strange is that when the jack is detected on-screen the headphones don't work, when they aren't detected, they do ... totally weird.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The funny thing is that the little pop-out was a nuiscane, but now it's gone anyway. As a layman, what I find so strange is that when the jack is detected on-screen the headphones don't work, when they aren't detected, they do ... totally weird.
That's realtek for you. Unfortunately quite buggy.