Headphone mic not being picked up

Tobli93

Just got a Desktop from here and it's awesome but I can't get the headphone mic to be recognised and picked up. Audio comes through fine, but in any port (top of case headphones or mic, and rear) the mic just isn't getting discovered. A USB headset borrowed from my partner works but neither my basic Sony buds nor Turtle Beach Elite Atlas Aero will register as a microphone when plugged in. Please help!

(Sound card is onboard 6 channel (5.1) high def audio)

EDIT: When plugged into the mic jack it's very faint, and poor quality, with static. I've tried using RealTek software as that looks like what was on it before but it's encountered a -0001 error when trying to install and has now vanished from the Device Manager.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, would love to solve this so I don't have to get an new expensive USB-based headset for gaming/streaming

Last edited:

RichH

Gold Level Poster
Microphone jacks are usually 4 pin whereas Headphones are 3 pin (I think, could be the other way round)

If your headset only has a single jack, then you will probably need a splitter so you have one into the green socket and another into the pink.

I had loads of issues with this exact same thing last year when i started wfh - I ended up just buying a usb headset

Tobli93

Ordered! Thanks so much, hopefully that works
It arrived and picks my voice up, but there is a nasty static on the line. It's not the headset cabling or the new adapter. Is it likely to be wiring internally or software issues?