Headset/Soundcard Problems

Kiazak

Silver Level Poster
My surround sound headset is having a problem with its Subwoofer/Center speakers being extremely quiet, is it the headset or the sound card?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i'd point my finger at a sound setting first. What spec do you have? are you using onboard audio? or a dedicated soundcard? what headset have you got?

Kiazak

Silver Level Poster
I have the ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD) from PCS and using a Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset. Had it for just over a year
I'll post a pic of the settings I have
Pc Spesh - forums.png

tom_gr7

Life Serving
is the razer tiamat a usb or an analogue headset? In other words how does the headset connect to the pc?

fyi, usb headsets Do not use soundcards/onboard audio

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Ok, just looked on the razer website. You have a seriously high end headset with the basic onboard audio from the motherboard. Motherboards are sometimes not very good when it comes to 5.1/7.1 in games. It often can't actually process the surround, so its probably only giving you 2.1.

I'd suggest getting a dedicated soundcard. Specifically an ASUS DX (PCI-E), it would cost about 50 quid. http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DX/

You will just connect the headset to the soundcard instead of the motherboard.

And, once setup you will get ten times better sound than onboard. I can guarantee it mate! Honestly, you will get amazing 7.1.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thats an amazing reply, thank you so so much

not a problem mate, if you do go with the ASUS DX (make sure you get the pcie version) feel free to give me a shout, and I'll talk you through setting it up.

When you use a dedicated soundcard, you can basically get rid of and disable the onboard realtek software and the asus software (which is seen in the screen you posted above)

but yeah give me a shout when ya get it :) (if ya get one that is)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
lol, well firstly, please dont link to competitors.

and secondly, i personally wouldn't suggest any other soundcard (for your 7.1 headset) than an ASUS DX.

I've used a creative titaninum in the past, and i found it pretty awful. But also, that model was discontinued a couple of years ago, so you wont get any new drivers or software.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i'd had a look around, the newer creative cards only offer 5.1 not 7.1

As your headset connects via analogue 7.1, you literally do need a card that specifically offers 7.1 analogue ports. otherwise you will have one channel not connected.

I think your only choice is either stick with what you have now, or go for the asus dx.

Kiazak

Silver Level Poster
Sorry for the link, I didn't realise. and the only port I wouldnt have connected on that card is the mic, and I already have a Samson podcast mic. so its fine in my eyes. thanks for the help in uncovering my problem :)