Hello, Thoughts on my spec?

Hi there. I would like to know if there may be any issues with compatibility or anything else with the specs I am considering. So please let me have your thoughts and suggestions for if you think I should change something about it. Thanks!

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 III ADVANCED CASE (GREEN)
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-6700k Quad Core (4.00GHz @ upto MAX 4.60GHz)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3 ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB Kit)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 2 x DVI, HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
120GB HyperX SAVAGE 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 360MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days
Quantity

Mainly gaming and also some photshop/video editing on the odd occasion.

I am not going to be overclocking it. The CPU is already overclocked, correct? Would this rig be benefited more from overclocking? (I don't know a great deal about it)

The price for this comes to about £1,300. This is pretty much as high as I want to go. But if something could be added for a small increase in price which would greatly increase the performance I would be willing to consider it.

I am thinking maybe I don't need the cooling system I have got for it. But I thought it would be a good idea to get a decent one, hence the H100i hydro cooler. But maybe its not needed and I could put the cash elsewhere in the rig?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Mainly gaming and also some photshop/video editing on the odd occasion.

I am not going to be overclocking it. The CPU is already overclocked, correct? Would this rig be benefited more from overclocking? (I don't know a great deal about it)

The price for this comes to about £1,300. This is pretty much as high as I want to go. But if something could be added for a small increase in price which would greatly increase the performance I would be willing to consider it.

I am thinking maybe I don't need the cooling system I have got for it. But I thought it would be a good idea to get a decent one, hence the H100i hydro cooler. But maybe its not needed and I could put the cash elsewhere in the rig?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated :)

Yeah, your cooler setup is for an overclocked system, that's why I asked.

I'd lower the cooler to the noctua which is the best aircooler around, plus has the benefit of being a lot quieter even at load.

Have to say though, are you aware of the new generation cards coming out at the end of the month/early june? The gtx 1070 directly replaces the GTX970 pricewise, yet outperforms the Titan X, yes, no joke, it's a MASSIVE increase in performance.

I would say hold out until the next gen cards are on the market. PCS are very good at getting stocks in on or damn near release dates which are May 27th for the 1080 and June 7th for 1070.

Yeah, your cooler setup is for an overclocked system, that's why I asked.

I'd lower the cooler to the noctua which is the best aircooler around, plus has the benefit of being a lot quieter even at load.

Have to say though, are you aware of the new generation cards coming out at the end of the month/early june? The gtx 1070 directly replaces the GTX970 pricewise, yet outperforms the Titan X, yes, no joke, it's a MASSIVE increase in performance.

I would say hold out until the next gen cards are on the market. PCS are very good at getting stocks in on or damn near release dates which are May 27th for the 1080 and June 7th for 1070.

Ahh, I will get that other cooler then, cheers!

Also I had no idea about those cards, thats amazing! I think I will wait for them to be released and in stock then. It seems a bit too good to be true haha. Thats some really good advice thank you a lot!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The gtx 1070 directly replaces the GTX970 pricewise
In fairness, I think the 1070 will be more expensive than the 970s currently are. But the performance is vastly better and if nothing else means 970s should be going cheap.. Though even if ~£70 higher, they would be much, much better value as the Titan X/980 ti performance appears to be no joke.

The Noctua's an excellent cooler.

You might want to bump your SSD up to 240gb when you revisit your spec, 120gb would get full quite a bit faster when you consider a good chunk is taken up by the OS and non-game programs.

In fairness, I think the 1070 will be more expensive than the 970s currently are. But the performance is vastly better and if nothing else means 970s should be going cheap.. Though even if ~£70 higher, they would be much, much better value as the Titan X/980 ti performance appears to be no joke.

The Noctua's an excellent cooler.

You might want to bump your SSD up to 240gb when you revisit your spec, 120gb would get full quite a bit faster when you consider a good chunk is taken up by the OS and non-game programs.

Still, for £70 more it seems well worth it.

Thanks for the advice on the SSD. A question I have is that how will I know the OS will be installed on the SSD? Or is that just standard?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Reviews on the new cards should be hitting around 17th of May, so we'll see some real world benchmarks from then.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's pretty standard, as long as you put it on the primary drive. If you put the HDD in slot 1 and the SSD in slot 2, when you try to order the PC you get this message:
We note that you have selected a mechanical hard disk drive (HDD) as your primary drive and a solid state drive (SSD) as your secondary drive. Given that we will install your operating system on your primary drive, we strongly recommend that you select the SSD as your primary drive.

Solid State Drives are much faster drives and will provide a much better performance than a mechanical hard disk drive.

Depending how you configure the system there might be a pop-up window with a dropdown menu when you go to order it where you can specify where you want the OS installed.