Help/advice with seeking my next laptop

Liam1992

Hey all,

In the past couple of months or so, the Octane I bought a few years ago has been having screen issues. (Likely due to the ribbon cable having a loose connection or something similar.)

I've been considering getting an upgrade, but since my current laptop is still working fine (aside from the aforementioned screen issues) I'm willing to wait and weigh out my options. I'm looking to get a laptop with a 30 series GPU, possibly 3070. I don't plan on any 4K gaming, so I'd be okay with a 1080p panel on the laptop.

Are any of the current chassis PCS have listed worthwhile?

Not that it's really necessary, but in case someone gives me the "desktops are cheaper and better than laptops" spiel, I plan to be travelling once the pandemic is over with, so I'd need something... slightly more portable than a desktop.

Another thing worth noting is that I've been Intel for years, but I've heard recently that AMD have been doing a good job in outclassing Intel, so if anyone can sway me to wait until PCS have some AMD configurations, go ahead!

Thanks in advance. :)

D

Deleted member 17413

How long is a few years?
Any chance its still covered by warranty? Sounds more like a small repair job and you wouldnt need a new system?

I would hold off on any new laptop purchase right now, most of the new AMD laptop CPU's were snapped up by big brands such as Asus, so a lot of places have limited range. Prices are also pretty high given all the parts shortages going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liam1992

How long is a few years?
Any chance its still covered by warranty? Sounds more like a small repair job and you wouldnt need a new system?

I would hold off on any new laptop purchase right now, most of the new AMD laptop CPU's were snapped up by big brands such as Asus, so a lot of places have limited range. Prices are also pretty high given all the parts shortages going on.
I bought it back in 2017, so not covered by warranty unfortunately.

Liam1992

Just get it fixed. If it's only a couple of years old it's got plenty of life left in it!
I mean it's still useable, some games I have to run at lower graphics settings, but it has done a good job for me.

Honestly, I've been feeling kinda all over the place mentally just lately, so maybe I'm just looking at throwing money at something to make me happy. 😅

I would like to upgrade at some point though, but maybe I should wait until the world isn't such a crazy place. Appreciate you looking out for me. 🤪

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I mean it's still useable, some games I have to run at lower graphics settings, but it has done a good job for me.

Honestly, I've been feeling kinda all over the place mentally just lately, so maybe I'm just looking at throwing money at something to make me happy. 😅

I would like to upgrade at some point though, but maybe I should wait until the world isn't such a crazy place. Appreciate you looking out for me. 🤪
My point is don't settle for "usable".... get it fixed, even outside warranty, wouldn't cost too much. That spec will have no problem maxxing out the screen for a few more years. Pointless upgrading it.

Splash your money on something else you want. I get it, I have bouts of Psychosis and it's been more obtrusive than normal through lockdown, think most people with mental health issues have found it tougher than normal, especially this latest lockdown.

And I find splashing my money around extremely beneficial to making me feel better, it's quite cathartic and I think we can all allow ourselves a little splurge at the moment.

But no point wasting money needlessly, spend it on something else you want.