Help building a laptop.

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
Chap at work needs a new laptop (currently has a mac). Price not really an issue but nothing really over kill and will last a good few years.

He will be using mainly for internet, watching movies and editing videos taken on the latest Go pro 4 which does take large video files and uploading to the net.

Needs to boot up quick so thinking an SSD for the operating system and maybe a 2TB for storage.

Said he would like a 17" screen and goodish battery life, I know battery life is a trade off the better you spec the machine.

He will not be doing any gaming just video editing, needs to be quite fast opening videos etc as he is inpatient.

Thank you.

Parramatta

Silver Level Poster
The GoPro4 shoots at 4K and most mobile phones and compact cameras shoot at 4K video also. But unfortunately there STILL aren't any 17" laptops that can display 4K. If he wants to see his 4K video footage at 4K he either has to output to an external 4K monitor or settle for a 15" 4K screen.

Also bear in mind that the 960M on the Optimus (and all GPU models below this) have trouble playing 4K video at 60fps to any monitor. I would recommend at the 970M at minimum for manipulating 4K video files.

So Defiance II or higher for that 4K video stuff.

If there are any Optimus VII owners out there who have a 960M, I'd be interested to hear their experience in playing 4K videos to an external monitor at any reasonable frame rate.

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
He is not to bothered about seeing it in 4k on the laptop in fact he does not even have anything that plays 4k!!! Go pro over kill.

Is there a 4k 15" screen laptop on this site?

Last edited:

Parramatta

Silver Level Poster
Octane II and Defiance II have 4K 15" options. There's one or two others as well.

If you're not bothered about playing 4K (although it's a safe bet that 4K will become standard in 2-3 years' time), then go for the Optimus VII with a 2TB HDD and an M.2 boot drive.

If money is no object, go for the Defiance or Octane II with a couple of 2TB SSDs. Plenty of high-speed, high-volume storage.