Help! Heart broken - Monitor Miseery

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Hello,
I got my order today. I should be Happy. I managed to Lug the monster upstiars. find room for it on desk. Stared to connect the cables. But I can't connect my monitor ( possibly my fault) I had old computer and monitor has a 15 pin end. Help:oops:

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE S BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME Z270-P: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP
1st Hard Disk
1TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 1400MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
50cm UV LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1200 867Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
So you have the PC. You have your old monitor.

Did you get a new monitor as well? If so it's likely to have come with a DVI/HDMI cable you can plug into the GPU.

If you just have your old monitor, does it have any inputs other than VGA? If you're not sure, what's the model number on the back/ underside of the monitor you have?

If the answer is no on both counts:

- you can plug your PC into a modern TV (if you have one upstairs) with an HDMI cable.
- you can buy an adapter / adapter cable to connect DVI to VGA.
e.g. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...gf12-dvi-m-to-vga-f-adapter-12716822-pdt.html (cheaper elsewhere online)
The male DVI would plug into the GPU. The female VGA would let you connect your VGA cable to that, with the other end plugging into your old monitor.

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Hi,

I have AOC 2036Sa - LCD monitor - 20" Only had VGA port. Have a HD Ready TV with HDMI port. No spare cable ( will pinch the one from down stairs TV later to test.

Did not get he new monitor just yet. wanted to make sure I was happy with PC first. Think it might be best to get the HDMI cable when out tomorrow after testing out TV.

would this Blaupunkt Gold Plated HDMI Cable 1m work, mentions being an ethernet cable??? or should I do to maplins/ PC world?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
For the purposes of plugging in a PC to a TV at 1080p or lower, an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. Any cheap one from Sainsburys, Maplin, PC World, Wilkos, or anything else should work fine.

Makes sense to use an HDMI cable you already have in your house (and that you therefore know works) to just make sure you can get an image displaying on the screen of your other TV before buying a new cable.

Depending on the TV, the desktop might not fit properly on the screen even with what should be the correct resolution set. There are ways to fiddle with it and get it fitted - but just saying so you don't get concerned if the edges of the desktop all appear to be stretching off the sides of the TV. I had that with our old HDTV.
----

If you have a PC World near you it may sell that DVI to VGA adapter I linked in which case you could use your old monitor and VGA cable without needing to mess about with the TV.
Note that there are two kinds of VGA adapters they sell - DVI female to VGA male and DVI male to VGI female - I believe you'd want the DVI male to VGA female:

This DVI M to VGA FAdapter allows you to connect a VGA monitor to a DVI graphics card on your PC or notebook, giving you another choice of connections in your adapter arsenal to meet whatever your requirements are.

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Yeah not all DVI has the analogue outputs to support VGA conversion.

You need to have a card with the "cross" on the DVI connector:

kb221_2.jpg

And not:

kb221_1.jpg

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Hello,

Oussebon - thanks for your help. Computer working with TV for the moment. but the sizing issues are there.
Tony 1044 - checked card and it does not have a cross on it.

the problem with pc world is it not quite far away. also if I go there do you get a connector or just give in a buy a new monitor.

Not sure I am likening windows 10 and Cortina she tired to talk to me about set up and stuff. siri on iPad only talks to when asked.

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
So I am out of options and have to get new monitor.

Ps where the off/shut down button on windows 10?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Good spot by Tony - you'd need an active converter I guess.

I guess a new monitor is desirable anyway to let you get the most out of your PC from a gaming and productivity point of view, and at least it seems the system is working :)

The Win 10 shutdown button is right above the Windows logo on the start menu when you press the windows button:
win 10 power.png

Alternatively you can just use alt-F4 to close programs / bring up the shutdown menu

Or you can press the power button on the PC case (pressing and releasing will make the PC shut down normally, pressing and holding kills the power)

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Hello,

Thanks Tony and oussebon. I ended up getting the AOC G24060PF. and everything is working. I can now see the window and power buttons.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I can now see the window and power buttons.

That's what we like to hear. In due course I guess you can get a suitable adapter to let you use your old monitor as a 2nd screen. Keep us posted with how you find the PC once you've had a chance to game on it, put it through its paces etc :)

The AOC G2460PF is supposed to be a pretty decent monitor.

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
I think I am going to be asking lots of daft questions. Like here is the dvd drive. I have only manage to fit the monster on my desk side ways and have a feeling I have the wrong side facing out and the dvd drive is there. if I have an SSD dive would this just be called the C drive and the hard disk the d drive?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If this is what you ordered:
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
The DVD drive is a separate thing you plug in to one of the USB ports and you can position it wherever you like.

And yes, PCS will almost certainly have set up the PC so that the SSD is C: and the HDD is D:

Rakk

The Awesome
I think I am going to be asking lots of daft questions. Like here is the dvd drive. I have only manage to fit the monster on my desk side ways and have a feeling I have the wrong side facing out and the dvd drive is there. if I have an SSD dive would this just be called the C drive and the hard disk the d drive?

It's ok to ask questions, that's the way you learn :)

The last spec I saw you post had
1st Hard Disk
1TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 1400MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
So I'm presuming you have the OS on the M.2 SSD, that will be your C drive, the other HDD (the 1TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD) will be your D drive.
My DVD drive only shows up (for me my DVD drive becomes the G drive cos I have a bunch of other drives as well) when it has a DVD/CD in it, so that may be why there is no other drive visible.
The DVD drive will be on the front side of the case, however the Fractal R5 has a door on the front that you will have to open so you can get to the DVD drive.

Edit: PS. I may have looked at the wrong spec, if so the info may not be correct, my post took a long time to write (I was trying to do more than one thing at once, and I'm terrible at multi-tasking) so Oussebon may be more correct :)

Last edited:

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
How do I open the door?
Yes. I forgot I made a few last minuet changes to the spec. Think I may need to move the monster before finding out how the front opens. fingers crossed.
Found the door. had turned the monster the wrong way. very tight fit thring to get door open. but have found the dvd drive. can now load all my programs. Few.

Thank you Rakk

Last edited:

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Hello,

More monitor help.

I had trouble playing dvd. and thought calibrating the setting might help. but now I have oddly right patch in the top left hand corner for about an inch by 2 inches. and restarted did not reset. what do I do? Should I take monitor back to PC worlds?

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Hello,

thanks for the link. Not sure it reflect my current issues and I am not sure who to do the things suggested.

"Are you watching 30 fps video? 30 fps doesn't go into 144 Hz well. Try running your desktop at 120 Hz, 120 Hz is great for NTSC because both 24 and 30 goes into 120 nicely. Also your GPU can down clock to idle at 120 Hz but cannot at 144. "

this may fix the problem with animation if I new how to do this. not sure who if would effect the hair shadowing distortion ( like seeing people head shadow thought polarised glases and it's can't be seen or is blacked out) Mainly the hair. also seen when watching youtube.

Yesterday I went thought colour management and adjusted the screen calibration on the AOC G2460Pf Full HD 24" LED Gaming Monitor. and was comparing the images in the middle not noticing that I now have a inch by2 inch patch in the top right hand corner that's now brighter than everything else.

Connected to PC via display port.

can this be a driver issue? How do you check?

Last edited: