HELP! I want to upgrade from this build

adeking22

Hi everyone! So, I I buit this about 4 years ago and as you can imagine, this thing needs upgrading. I am also a total noob so I have no idea where to begin. Initially, I'm thinking I need a new graphics card, something that will allow me to do 4k gaming, but I don't know if that means I need to upgrade my motherboard also. My budget for a new graphics card is anything between 200 and 400 (cheapskate I know lol) but I am also open to ideas. (I have already changed the ram to 24gb)Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Case
PCS DOMINATOR 6806B BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor i5-7600 (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® H110M-R: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB Kingston DUAL DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti - DVI, HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
250GB Samsung 850 2.5" EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1200 867Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Last edited by a moderator:

adeking22

Thank YOUUUU soo much man. Like I said, the budget really isn't a problem. My main issue was trying to figure what needs changing in order for me to play 4k comfortably. If I can at least figure those things out, then I'll try and cut costs wherever possible. Honestly though, your response has at least given me some clarity. Love!

adeking22

Yeaaa I can imagine that's the case man. I will definitely wait and see what he has to say but I'm already mentally preparing myself with building a whole new system (yikes) 😂.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hiya. IMHO:

You'd need a much better case which basically would mean a full rebuild (as in physically rebuilding it, not buying a whole new system). @£180

At 4k, the CPU will be fine, you won't get any particular benefit in upgrading. I'd save that money and do a full rebuild in a few years.

You'd need an 850W RMx PSU (or TXm if you want to budget) @£140

And a 3080 for 4k 144Hz @£720

16Gb 2133MHz RAM (2 x 8Gb) @£60

Plus a suitable monitor at a minimum of around £800

So in all, roughly around £1900 at the low end, but likely £100 or 200 more.

Last edited:

adeking22

Hiya. IMHO:

You'd need a much better case which basically would mean a full rebuild (as in physically rebuilding it, not buying a whole new system). @£180

At 4k, the CPU will be fine, you won't get any particular benefit in upgrading. I'd save that money and do a full rebuild in a few years.

Thank you soo much man. Honestly you're a life saver.

adeking22

Hiya. IMHO:

Dont mean to be a bother, but with everything you said, all I can afford at the moment is a new graphics card. So with that in mind, I was looking to buy the RTX 3060 Ti. Will that be good for me if I Change my case?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dont mean to be a bother, but with everything you said, all I can afford at the moment is a new graphics card. So with that in mind, I was looking to buy the RTX 3060 Ti. Will that be good for me if I Change my case?
You’d need a better PSU to support the GPU. Wouldn’t work without it.

And 3060ti won’t do 4k gaming.

adeking22

Okay, this is a silly question. But what is a PSU? and in terms of 4k... Now that I have my ps5 I'm not too fusssed about 4k gaming on the PC

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There's no point just buying a random GPU, the GPU pairs with your monitor, what monitor are you pairing it with, what resolution and refresh rate or make and model if you're unsure?

adeking22

do you have any suggestions in terms of monitor? as its not just for my pc its going to be connected to my ps5 as well

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
do you have any suggestions in terms of monitor? as its not just for my pc its going to be connected to my ps5 as well
Save up a bit and get a 3070 which would pair with that monitor.

The PS5 only does 1080p or 4k, so you're very limited if you want one monitor to do both. Really you want a dedicated 1440p monitor for the PC, that would give a far better experience.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Do you not think the 3060Ti would get entry level 4k gaming now? Being comparable with the 2080 Super would have me thinking that it should manage around 60fps with conservative settings in mind.

I would have no qualms playing 4k with my 2080 (non Super) if I had a 4k TV. Granted, it's not going to be a premium experience, but depending on the games and with the right settings.... I think it might be OK.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Do you not think the 3060Ti would get entry level 4k gaming now? Being comparable with the 2080 Super would have me thinking that it should manage around 60fps with conservative settings in mind.

I would have no qualms playing 4k with my 2080 (non Super) if I had a 4k TV. Granted, it's not going to be a premium experience, but depending on the games and with the right settings.... I think it might be OK.
Perhaps, I think you'd have to dial down settings more than I would like to maintain respectable frames on some newer titles.

Personally I'd take the 3060ti and do 1440p 144hz, think that would be a far better experience overall.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Perhaps, I think you'd have to dial down settings more than I would like to maintain respectable frames on some newer titles.

Personally I'd take the 3060ti and do 1440p 144hz, think that would be a far better experience overall.

Absolutely no doubt, just thinking more along the budget line. If the budget is there for the 3070 it's a no-brainer. Just thinking that, depending on game style, it would be a reasonable compromise if the cash isn't there to support the absolute power of the system.... while wanting to facilitate the next gen console options :)

adeking22

Happy new year everyone!
Hi, i am pretty much a noob when it comes to PC gaming and trying to build a new Gaming PC as my current one isnt really serving its purpose anymore. i currently have a 1440p monitor that i would like to get the most out of along with my ps5. Please see my current build and see if i can UPGRADE or point me in the direction of a good gaming pc that would achieve better or on par graphics with my ps5. my budget is around the £800 range but i am flexible if needs must. here are the specs of my current build and the monitor. any help would be great. thanks!

CPU

Intel Core i5 7600 @ 3.50GHz

Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

RAM

20.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1198MHz (15-17-17-40)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H110M-R (LGA1151)

Graphics

LG ULTRAGEAR (2560x1440@144Hz)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (ZOTAC International)

Storage

232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD))

2794GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 (SATA )

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Happy new year everyone!
Hi, i am pretty much a noob when it comes to PC gaming and trying to build a new Gaming PC as my current one isnt really serving its purpose anymore. i currently have a 1440p monitor that i would like to get the most out of along with my ps5. Please see my current build and see if i can UPGRADE or point me in the direction of a good gaming pc that would achieve better or on par graphics with my ps5. my budget is around the £800 range but i am flexible if needs must. here are the specs of my current build and the monitor. any help would be great. thanks!

CPU

Intel Core i5 7600 @ 3.50GHz

Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

RAM

20.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1198MHz (15-17-17-40)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H110M-R (LGA1151)

Graphics

LG ULTRAGEAR (2560x1440@144Hz)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (ZOTAC International)

Storage

232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD))

2794GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 (SATA )
I've merged this back with your old thread as assuming it's the PCS build you're referring to? If you can post the full specs from the order page and add any amendments you've made to it? Plus the make and model monitor?

If so, with the work that needs doing to it, especially with how demanding games are becoming, I'd suggest a full rebuild as you'll get a much more solid platform.

But you won't be able to get anything suitable for £800, that would just about cover a GPU, but the platform it gonna hold back any modern GPU really. But a GPU upgrade would likely also require a PSU upgrade at which point it's getting a bit complicated as it's basically a full system rebuild.

adeking22

Hi, many thanks for the response on this. I have just seen the many the responses to my old post. i did buy a new monitor in the end and its looking like the 3060ti (whole new pc and not just the GPU) is what i am leaning towards. far outside the budget i had in mind lol. thanks for your help.

Last edited: