HELP!!........Ionico17 RTX 3060 GPU Code 43 in Device manager

LT0004

Hi everyone fired up a game last night, looked at the TV, looked back to the laptop to see BSOD (Stop code: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION) anyhow restarted back to desktop and went to fire up game again. Everything really slow (something fishy going on here).

Checked out control centre and find GPU showing but no readings coming from it in terms of temps or Memory size, speed tec.... Go to device manager and see warning triangle on GPU and message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

Tried to fire up Nvidia control centre, won't work. Opened Experience centre which constantly says driver needs updating but won't update. Tried uninstalling reinstalling drivers no joy.

Reinstalled an image taken when everything was working but problem still apparrent.

Any help greatly appreciated, hoping its fixiable at home and card not dead, be annoyed if I have to RMA it.

I've had this thing for like 5 mins, my last PCS laptop from 6 years is still going strong, grrr.

Thanks

P.S spec if required.

Chassis & Display
Ionico Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Ionico Series Integrated 91WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
IONICO 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
As far as I know, the WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and Code 43 are usually driver related, so hopefully this'll be a relatively easy fix.

LT0004

Without sound too stupid. How is that any different then putting the as delivered image I took via macrium back on and it still not working, to reinstalling windows clean?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Without sound too stupid. How is that any different then putting the as delivered image I took via macrium back on and it still not working, to reinstalling windows clean?
There's always a chance that the root of the issue you're experiencing was lurking somewhere in the system when the image was taken, it may just not have reared it's ugly head at that time.

A full re-installation of Windows is the only way you can guarantee you're working off a fully clean slate.

LT0004

Well thanks for the assistance guys, clean install carried out with all drivers and windows updates. No difference to be had, GPU still has code 43 and warning triangle in device manager, says it has the driver geforce experience keeps trying to install and has no data in the Control Centre, it seems that this GPU is dead. Will call PCS for next steps, lets hope its resolved quickly and lasts longer than 3 weeks when resolved.

D

Deleted member 17413

Remove the nvidia stuff again using DDU, theres a post pinned in teh forums on how to set DDU options so it removes everything you need it too...not always ticked by default..

When you reinstall, do a manual search on the nvidia site for the drivers for your card, make sure you choose the right one (laptop/mobile not desktop) and download the game ready driver.
When you go to install, choose custom and make sure you tick the fresh install (just in case)
Custom install will let you pick which components, make sure the audio and -i would also leave out the geforce experience- is unticked.

See what that does for you. Could well be a bug with Geforce Experience why its not letting you update drivers, or trying to update to what you already have, and I'd say worth a shot as your next step is likely a RMA...

P.S When using DDU, I would get the driver installer you need and download it beforehand, so its on your PC already, then disable your internet connection before rebooting so it doesnt try to reinstal drivers for it automatically.
Then once you start up again, you can run the installer

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17413

Here's the post Spyder did as a walkthrough if unsure about DDU

D

Deleted member 17413

It might be time to look at RMA's then...
An alternative (might end up same result) would be to try asking the mods here, @SpyderTracks @ubuysa @Scott are worth asking, between them they seem to fix anything (short of broken hardware....although I think thats more due to physical constraints than ability lol)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That does sound like a failed card with those symptoms, if a clean install hasn't corrected it, then it does suggest the card is dead.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's a shame the memory dump from the BSOD wasn't saved before the image restore was done. :(

When troubleshooting Nvidia issues it's wisest to install the driver manually and not via GeForce Experience.

It does sound like a dead GPU.